Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue VS Red 202

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just get a 12 port.

H

harrop.senator

bwahahaha.. try turning a red 202 to7500 and see what happens

flywheels (steel and lightened) even with dowels and retainers get shooken off at 6500 upwards (makes a hell of a mess btw)
and once you solve that .. then the balancers come off (easy fix is adapt a Massey Ferguson tractor one) but then...?
the blocks split behind the starter motor..... come apart from the up/down forces. Nothing a full set of VERY long high tensile
bolts .. from deck to sump face cannot fix :)

I say all the above from personal experience :eek:

Rodgy I knew one of the newer ones had the different flywheel set up that didn't shake off haha. Sorry man didn't mean to miss inform it's been a long time since I've played with them and it was a short run back then.

Triple 45DCOEs for the win!

Yeah , na. Hahaha. Triples are only for nostalgia and always driven hard cars. Balancing , syncing , the fuel bill and in a van no thanks.

I was more so thinking a 34 adm or 32/36. I would even put a 38/38 on a van due to the fuel bill and trying to get a nice low down torque fuel curve.

You want a tree stump puller that's very effective to 5.5-6 max with a van and a very usable 2-4k .

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
blue motor from vh or wb will be fine....could add with baby cam & flat tops for better mid-range...the rest of it will be fine with hei,extractors & varijet or 2bbl weber...dime a dozen back in the day & reliable

Very few people building crazy 202 these days...price of webbers,headwork required & all parts/work required you'd end up in a loony bin breaking every piece of driveline or cry when block cracks between welsch plugs in middle of block.

Every time you found a fix for particular issue quickly find next weak link in chain lil

That being said loved my bushpig triple webbered 202...was a beautiful to hear webbers singing wide open throttle back in 90's.....smashing 205/60/13 tyres & no karens to spoil the fun.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
blue motor from vh or wb will be fine....could add with baby cam & flat tops for better mid-range...the rest of it will be fine with hei,extractors & varijet or 2bbl weber...dime a dozen back in the day & reliable

Very few people building crazy 202 these days...price of webbers,headwork required & all parts/work required you'd end up in a loony bin breaking every piece of driveline or cry when block cracks between welsch plugs in middle of block.

Every time you found a fix for particular issue quickly find next weak link in chain lil

That being said loved my bushpig triple webbered 202...was a beautiful to hear webbers singing wide open throttle back in 90's.....smashing 205/60/13 tyres & no karens to spoil the fun.
yes... to that!

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if you need to hot the 6 up aren't you using the wrong motor to start with . Why not put 253 in there to start with it wont use much more fuel maybe less than a hotted up 202 . The couple of hot 6 's I had drank heaps of fuel .
Why would a bloke bother hotting up a 202 now days total waste of time and money as its never going to make huge amounts of power.

Acarzia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
bwahahaha.. try turning a red 202 to7500 and see what happens

flywheels (steel and lightened) even with dowels and retainers get shooken off at 6500 upwards (makes a hell of a mess btw)
and once you solve that .. then the balancers come off (easy fix is adapt a Massey Ferguson tractor one) but then...?
the blocks split behind the starter motor..... come apart from the up/down forces. Nothing a full set of VERY long high tensile
bolts .. from deck to sump face cannot fix :)

I say all the above from personal experience :eek:

Does that happen on the Blue too?

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Get a blue 202 block, put a 12 port black head or Yella Terra head on it and chuck a side mount super charger on it :cool:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Blue motor had better harmonics mainly due to better crank so it seems more refined with hei & varijet...just remember if swapping blue where red motor was probably need to trim & bash sump a little for counterweight clearance etc.

12 port head has better mid range but going all out heavily ported red will generally have better peak power....although if serious you'd go straight for j zed head or yella terra alloy if can find one.

Must admit was surprised by vk efi 6cyl how easily they do burnouts & midrange torue so they'd make nice d.i.y project with delco conversion & minor engine mods.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Get a blue 202 block, put a 12 port black head or Yella Terra head on it and chuck a side mount super charger on it :cool:

Blue and black had 12 port heads....The red had the 9 port head...:)

Know of a turboed 202 red in a Corolla.....Pretty nippie little thing and it is all hidden unless the bonnet is open...