Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BMW E39 528i daily

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Do you think this is a good deal?

View attachment 237741
Seller says that it's been with the family since new and this has the M54 engine and it's a manual!

It could be. I'd be checking the maintenance history in depth and jacking up the rear to look at the subframe. If it's on the level with all the right bits replaced it's good for another 100k

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
You probably should've done a Manual swap for your VS Maloo... I agree, BMW N/A inline 6's are awesome!

Daily = time off road ( even though I had /have other vehicles ).
Hilariously , while I've been happy to mod it ( Yes I still have it) I haven't brought myself to swap to manual even though I much prefer a manual for the engagement of driving= go figure = because I can't!!!

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Reckon I'd prefer an auto than a Getrag behind a V8. I have a manual and it's ok. Sometimes wish I had the ease of an auto with 3500 stally like I had in the old ute. Manual makes mine more of a mans car, but the 150 gear changes on my way home from work gets annoying, hahaha. Meh, first world problems....
Each to their own... Auto's are better for daily driving but a manual is better for the Sunday drive (and performance)... The VS Maloo is definitely a classic so I don't think too many people are going to daily drive it anymore...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It could be. I'd be checking the maintenance history in depth and jacking up the rear to look at the subframe. If it's on the level with all the right bits replaced it's good for another 100k
I'm not in the market for a new car but this looks like a great deal... Problem is, I'm in Victoria and this is in NSW so it's out of my reach though it's definitely enticing (especially with the low price, M54 and the manual)... Maintenance is key for cars like this (and most other cars)...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
To be honest manual puts me off. These things are solid comfy cruisers with great handling and road holding. I like to sit back and relax. The 2.2L has a bit of go but nothing manual-worthy IMO. A 3.0L for sure

I'm also tainted as I put a sequential shifter in my SS and dayum I'm never going back to a H pattern

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
To be honest manual puts me off. These things are solid comfy cruisers with great handling and road holding. I like to sit back and relax. The 2.2L has a bit of go but nothing manual-worthy IMO. A 3.0L for sure

I'm also tainted as I put a sequential shifter in my SS and dayum I'm never going back to a H pattern
I mean, it really depends what you like best... This car would really suit a first time driver who wants to learn in a manual and learn how to fix their car or a P-Plater who likes manual... I know somebody that used to own an E46 Coupe (I think 2.2L) with a manual and that thing was buttery smooth (Still better than a 4 cylinder E46)...

But I agree, they handle really well since they're made for the autobahn...