Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BMW seats

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Has anyone ever put BMW seats into their first gen commodore ? Thinking some e36 would look good when I do the re trim .

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Even if no one has before, I would gather they would be fairly similar in overall size. Make up some mounts to fit them into the stock positions and hey presto. Hows your VC going anyway mate, been a while since I've seen you on here.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Yeah that's my thoughts also, just thought I'd ask to see if I can learn any tricks from others mistakes before I make my own.

It's going so so.. Has been on the back burner for a while whilst the kids/house/business took priority but it's due back on the road for summer, and currently it's mid way through a bare metal respray where we have cut out any and all rust, installed an electric sunroof, smoothed a lot of locks, areals etc.
Next up is trim around august hopefully .

Can anyone tell me how the sle rear head rests attach? I want a set to go in.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
You need the brackets.

H

harrop.senator

Doing this with electronic seats make it harder. I'm assuming you mean full Vader seats and not the is seats?

The easiest way which unsure of E36 but E30 is still base mount four bolt rails. Welding up a a rectangular bracket that bolts into the seat and you original rail is always the easiest but unless you have height adjust on your original rail you won't on the new seat.

You'll only have forwards/backwards and tilt. The other way is to cut the mounting tabs flush and weld adapter plates on the bottom of the rail to your existing holes. This will make the seat sit quite high as most BMW seats I've seen have an offset height where the mount to the floor. Think tunnels much closer to seat then outers.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Doing this with electronic seats make it harder. I'm assuming you mean full Vader seats and not the is seats?

The easiest way which unsure of E36 but E30 is still base mount four bolt rails. Welding up a a rectangular bracket that bolts into the seat and you original rail is always the easiest but unless you have height adjust on your original rail you won't on the new seat.

You'll only have forwards/backwards and tilt. The other way is to cut the mounting tabs flush and weld adapter plates on the bottom of the rail to your existing holes. This will make the seat sit quite high as most BMW seats I've seen have an offset height where the mount to the floor. Think tunnels much closer to seat then outers.

That's a really good reply chears , the seats currently don't have height so that's good to know. Option 1 sounds like the plan . I'll go through it with my trimmer also but that's good input!
And yes the full Vader seats is the plan

H

harrop.senator

From memory the Vader has base tilt up/down and forwards/back all electronically controlled with a roller wheel for back tilt.

How easy do the vn-vs Calais/statesman seats go in to early girls? Those have all of those controls built into the rail. And are a four bolt base may want to start with one of those rails?

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Good idea. .might need to get them all upside down and Measure it up.
So your suggesting e36 seats on VS rails in a vc?

H

harrop.senator

Unsure mate I've never put seats in an older girl. Just knew a guy with vs Calais seats in his vl so it may be easyish to fit them in a VC hell he may have even just put vl rails on them I'm not sure.

It's just possibly a thought to get around all the electronic rail without having to butcher it or the floor. Really you'll need to do a bit more research from someone whos put electronic seats in an early one.

That's if the Vader's were electronic it's been a long time since I've been in an E36 m they may still be pneumatic with a pump handle like the E30 recaros.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Yeah they are electric.. I'll just go grab my old seats from the panel shop and compare them side by side with the BMW's. . I think the early girls have a different floor pan to all the other commies as they have no room for cats from memory .