Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BMW seats

Discussion in 'VB - VK Holden Commodore (1978 - 1985)' started by ajvx01, May 12, 2018.

1. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    Has anyone ever put BMW seats into their first gen commodore ? Thinking some e36 would look good when I do the re trim .

2. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Even if no one has before, I would gather they would be fairly similar in overall size. Make up some mounts to fit them into the stock positions and hey presto. Hows your VC going anyway mate, been a while since I've seen you on here.

3. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    Yeah that's my thoughts also, just thought I'd ask to see if I can learn any tricks from others mistakes before I make my own.

It's going so so.. Has been on the back burner for a while whilst the kids/house/business took priority but it's due back on the road for summer, and currently it's mid way through a bare metal respray where we have cut out any and all rust, installed an electric sunroof, smoothed a lot of locks, areals etc.
    Next up is trim around august hopefully .

Can anyone tell me how the sle rear head rests attach? I want a set to go in.

Sandman likes this.
  4. keith reed

keith reed Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    You need the brackets.

5. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    Doing this with electronic seats make it harder. I'm assuming you mean full Vader seats and not the is seats?

The easiest way which unsure of E36 but E30 is still base mount four bolt rails. Welding up a a rectangular bracket that bolts into the seat and you original rail is always the easiest but unless you have height adjust on your original rail you won't on the new seat.

You'll only have forwards/backwards and tilt. The other way is to cut the mounting tabs flush and weld adapter plates on the bottom of the rail to your existing holes. This will make the seat sit quite high as most BMW seats I've seen have an offset height where the mount to the floor. Think tunnels much closer to seat then outers.

6. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    That's a really good reply chears , the seats currently don't have height so that's good to know. Option 1 sounds like the plan . I'll go through it with my trimmer also but that's good input!
    And yes the full Vader seats is the plan

7. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    From memory the Vader has base tilt up/down and forwards/back all electronically controlled with a roller wheel for back tilt.

How easy do the vn-vs Calais/statesman seats go in to early girls? Those have all of those controls built into the rail. And are a four bolt base may want to start with one of those rails?

8. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    Good idea. .might need to get them all upside down and Measure it up.
    So your suggesting e36 seats on VS rails in a vc?

9. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Unsure mate I've never put seats in an older girl. Just knew a guy with vs Calais seats in his vl so it may be easyish to fit them in a VC hell he may have even just put vl rails on them I'm not sure.

It's just possibly a thought to get around all the electronic rail without having to butcher it or the floor. Really you'll need to do a bit more research from someone whos put electronic seats in an early one.

That's if the Vader's were electronic it's been a long time since I've been in an E36 m they may still be pneumatic with a pump handle like the E30 recaros.

10. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    Yeah they are electric.. I'll just go grab my old seats from the panel shop and compare them side by side with the BMW's. . I think the early girls have a different floor pan to all the other commies as they have no room for cats from memory .

11. Lacksballs

Lacksballs Active Member

Members Ride:
    VK Group C Replica
    For the rear headrests you need the brackets, pins, inserts & a pair of rear headrests (guys know the value of these now, so be prepared to pay dearly).

It's then just a matter of marking the brackets out on the rear panel & welding them on, re-fit the upper rear seat, mark out the point the holes need to be made to fit the plastic inserts through the top of the seat squab & these hold the headrests into the brackets (that have just been welding on), the "C" clip stops the head rest from being pulled out.

VK rear headrest kit.jpg

Unknown.jpg

12. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    VN to VS seats bolt into VC commodores...The outer front mounting point on the rails, needs to be folded back 180 degrees, with a gap to fit the bolt through....You need the VN to VS allen key bolts for 3 of the mounting points because the original bolts are too short to use...The 4th bolt, you'll need the original VC one, so it goes into the section you have just folded back on itself.

The VN to VS seat belt clip even works with the VC seat belt...From memory, unbolting the rail from the VN to VS seats, was a pain in the ass...I had VN seats in my VC, then I changed to VS seats, for a little more comfort

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    harrop.senator likes this.
  13. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    That's awesome info thanks mate! Not concerned about headrest cost, if possible and if it looks OK I will use BMW head rests to match the front

14. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    Also great info thanks champ!

15. Lacksballs

Lacksballs Active Member

Members Ride:
    VK Group C Replica
    It's not the VH-VK-VL headrests that are expensive it is the brackets & plastic posts as they have cut them out of the rear panel.... rear seat headrests where normally from a high spec car ie Calais/HDT or dealer build so not plentiful!

If you look at the rear of the upper rear seat back you will see in the foam the area that the posts of the headrests locate, try the BMW ones it may pay to get their OE brackets & pins!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  16. ajvx01

ajvx01 Member

Members Ride:
    308 vc
    Good thinking!

17. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Most vs caprices have those head rest brackets spot welded onto the body. Need to drill out about 15 spot welds on each to remove, but I think you’d be able to make it work - possible welding needed. When I fitted the brackets to the statesman I just used hi tensile bolts and panel washers.

As for elec seats, I’d be looking for some from a vs caprice also. Wiring is very simple and I don’t think it’d be hard to get them to fit.

ajvx01 likes this.
  18. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but what other model commodores, pre VT have electric seats?

19. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Only vr/vs caprice afaik.