Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bob Lutz: Pontiac G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Only hours into his latest tenure at General Motors, Bob Lutz was back at what he does best, namely, slipping product information to the media and giving enthusiasts a reason to believe in the beleaguered auto company.
Asked about the future of the Pontiac G8, slated to end production with the 2009 model year, Lutz told Automobile Magazine the car would find its way into Chevrolet showrooms under the Caprice name.
"The last time we looked at it, we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet," Lutz said. "It is kind of too good to waste."
CEO Fritz Henderson has repeatedly denied that the G8 would survive as part of another brand, saying he's "not a fan of rebadging."
But Lutz, citing export agreements with Australia and the fact that the Holden Commodore is already sold in many countries as a Chevrolet, assured us GM would not let the car die.
Lutz also confirmed that the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe was still very much in the pipeline, and noted that members of the government taskforce took special interest in the super coupe.
"When we went through design and looked at the future product, the procession stopped at the model of the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe," Lutz told us. "I think that some of these guys are personally going to buy CTS-V Coupes."
Lutz also noted that a CTS-V Wagon is still a possibility, saying, "I think that'd be fun. I'm sure we'll build at least one."

Bob Lutz: Pontiac G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice - G8 Lives On - Automobile Magazine

0907_01_z+2009_chevrolet_caprice+front_view.jpg

HoldenCanMan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 - SV6
G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice

Only hours into his latest tenure at General Motors, Bob Lutz was back at what he does best, namely, slipping product information to the media and giving enthusiasts a reason to believe in the beleaguered auto company.
Asked about the future of the Pontiac G8, slated to end production with the 2009 model year, Lutz told Automobile Magazine the car would find its way into Chevrolet showrooms under the Caprice name.
"The last time we looked at it, we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet," Lutz said. "It is kind of too good to waste."
CEO Fritz Henderson has repeatedly denied that the G8 would survive as part of another brand, saying he's "not a fan of rebadging."
But Lutz, citing export agreements with Australia and the fact that the Holden Commodore is already sold in many countries as a Chevrolet, assured us GM would not let the car die.
Lutz also confirmed that the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe was still very much in the pipeline, and noted that members of the government taskforce took special interest in the super coupe.
"When we went through design and looked at the future product, the procession stopped at the model of the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe," Lutz told us. "I think that some of these guys are personally going to buy CTS-V Coupes."
Lutz also noted that a CTS-V Wagon is still a possibility, saying, "I think that'd be fun. I'm sure we'll build at least one."

Bob Lutz: Pontiac G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice - G8 Lives On - Automobile Magazine

0907_01_z+2009_chevrolet_caprice+front_view.jpg

YEAH BABY !

All members on so many Pontiac G8 forums are going buck wild over the news !
WE LOVE THE COMMODORE and are so happy it's gonna stay in the USA & Canada !

I'm Canadian, and every one who comes accross my debadges G8 / rebadged to Commodore asks me " WHAT CAR IS THAT ? IT'S AMAZINGLY NICE !" :bow:

:w00t: My Aussie Muscle Car will live on !

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thats good new for Holden and Australian car manufacturing.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
i think thats good news because the G8 did look good and when me and a mate went to outer harbour in adelaide where they export it from in real life they look even better and seeing the photo of the new one looks good so when they start making it i might go down to outer harbour again and take a look

i also wonder how long till chev badged caprices with ss badges on the side apear

cdtoaster

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
YEAH BABY !

All members on so many Pontiac G8 forums are going buck wild over the news !
WE LOVE THE COMMODORE and are so happy it's gonna stay in the USA & Canada !

I'm Canadian, and every one who comes accross my debadges G8 / rebadged to Commodore asks me " WHAT CAR IS THAT ? IT'S AMAZINGLY NICE !" :bow:

:w00t: My Aussie Muscle Car will live on !

nice one:thumbsup: over here we get quite a few commodores with chevy badges though which i think is stupid because its an australian car -_-. id never put a chevy badge on my commodore.....

HoldenCanMan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 - SV6
Chevy "G8" picture ... wow ~!

Now this will make some people jealous !

What do you guys think ? Sweet !

Chevy (G8) Caprice SS.jpg

HoldenCanMan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 - SV6
It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time…

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time…
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

OK, I have some late-breaking news for you from the world of GM, where things are indeed moving quickly, and what I’m about to say is proof.

In fact, we’re moving so fast, we’re going back in time to, oh, about four or five days ago, when the Pontiac G8 was going away and was not going to become a new Chevrolet Caprice.

And therein lies the news: The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I’d mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

That’s all still true. But I have to say that, with my new “marketing” hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today’s market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be.

I know that we’ll get a lot of complaints from G8 lovers, because I’m one of them. And the product guy in me is complaining as loudly as anyone. But the marketing guy says there’s no case. With budgets being what they are for the time being, the resources must be allocated elsewhere.

In no way, and this is very important, in no way does this mean we are backing away from performance, or backing away from rear-wheel drive. Look no further for proof than the Corvette, the Camaro, the CTS or many other present and future Cadillacs. We have a strong lineup of RWD vehicles already and we will continue to have it.

And we have a tremendous RWD team in Australia that gave us the beloved G8, a team that we will tap into at some point again in the future for its expertise and sheet metal. Just not right now.

Posted in Bob Lutz, GMBlogs.com

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
so there still trying to get the G8 back in and rebadged under the chev name and if it was to look like the picture above then im jealous of them