Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

body control module

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
Hi
recently got hold of a VT commodore with no keys ( or interior)
i have replaced the locks now i am looking at either replacing the bcm or trying to find the correct codes to get a new key head programmed to
has anyone had to replace the bcm before ? do i need the local stealership to make a new bcm talk to the ecu ??????
any advice would be greatly appreciated as before i refit (buy) an interior i would like to make sure that the car actually starts up and runs ,obviously i cant take the car down at the moment as it does not run and i do not have a seat to sit on to drive the car
alternately can the bcm be bypassed so i can start the car and test it that way ?

M

mwb235

I know a Holden dealership can code a new key to the BCM using Tech2 (there will be a small labour charge).

Otherwise you'll need a BCM with the same part number as your existing one AND a matching key (i.e. already programmed) before you can start the car. If you do replace the BCM it'll have to be linked to the PCM/ECU using Tech2 as well.

If you can get a matching PCM/ECU, BCM and keyhead all from the same car and fit those it would be easier.

It may not help, but if you get a replacement BCM for your car, make sure it is the correct part number (i.e. last three digits). I've attached a document that covers what BCM's came out on the VT-VY models.

Attachments

• VT VX VY V2 WH WK BCM info.jpg
    VT VX VY V2 WH WK BCM info.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10,079

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
thanks for that information .I was just reading your link on a different post
so in reality it may just be easier if i try to get a new head out of holden hopefully programmed to the car OR get the code out of them and then get mr minit to code a head for me
Question IF i am replacing ecu,bcm does it matter if it is a low medium or high spec bcm ?

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
I also presume that you cannot bypass the bcm for a test start :(

M

mwb235

Question IF i am replacing ecu,bcm does it matter if it is a low medium or high spec bcm ?

Yes, for things to work properly (and in some cases, at all). The BCM's have differing functions between levels (low,mid,lux,high etc) and the pinouts/plugs may differ depending on which two BCM's are compared.

I also presume that you cannot bypass the bcm for a test start :(

Not AFAIK, someone else may correct me but. On the "early" VR's i think you could by waiting 30-45 minutes with the key in the ignition turned to on (not 100% sure) but i think Holden stopped that either in late '93 or for the VRII update in 1994, because it made it too easy for thieves.

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
ok so i am off to the wreckers on tuesday to compare the cost of an ecu/bcm compared to the bcm.........then tow to stealership to get ecu programmed to bcm
what a pita ,means i have to push the car in and out of the garage IF i have to take it to the stealership :(

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
bcm needs to be programmed to the security of the car so you can't just change it with one with the same part number. If you have proof of ownership and take it to holdens they might be able to source a key from the vin numberif it hasn't been changed, at worst they can get a key cut by removing one of the locks.

If you smart enough you can get it running without keys but hopefully no one will give out info on how to do it cause it just helps car thieves.

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
i bought an incomplete car it is impossible to get it to a dealership there is NO interior in the car ,before starting to reassemble the interior and dash all i want to do is test start the engine
i am not "smart enough " to figure it out
In fact personally i hate efi ,give me a carby and a hei distributor any day !
i am trying to understand how this electronic nightmare works so that i can test the engine and not have to push the car in and out of my garage (i am getting lazy )
i do not care for car thieves either
IF there is anyone close to me (Wollongong NSW ) that is "smart enough " to start the car i would be very very very happy

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Don't take personally but what if we posted in here how to start a car without the keys, do you really think it would be good for car thieves to have that info to help them??? I know smart thieves could do it but then what about these wanna be punks that all of a sudden know how to do it?

I can't see the interior thing being an issue, as I said take proof of purchase of the car to holdens and they might just be able to help you. What's it hurt to try?

kingrat502

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais
if got no keys.take the back of ignition barrel of turn it till you hit the reds then leave for 1 hour maybe a bit longer with the reds turned on,then start as normal,bcm has time delay after so long the immobilisor will cut out...