Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body Deadener

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I'm after some advice on applying body deadener to the underside of the vy. I realize that i'm going to have to degrease it all to remove road grime etc and maybe scrub the entire area with a brush. Has anyone done this? And if so do you reckon I should apply two to three coats? I'm just after a bit of sound proofing from road noise and protection from corrosion. I'm using septone, couldn't get k&h. Got a four litre tin. Thanks.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you talking about under the car?

one big bottle of stone guard will do fine, i have done it and it is surprising the amount of noise it blocks out. doesnt stop the heat from your extractors for long though. they just burn through it. lol.

i didnt scrape it that throughly either, just squirted degreaser on it, left it for a while then blasted it with the jet washer. i hope you got a hoist. or a pit, cos its gonna get wet if you dont.

ah yes, memories of degreaser dripping on my head and burning like christ. those were the days

edit* just read your post properley, 4 litres would be plenty. i used 1 litre of K&H for the trans tunnel and guards, so around 1/3 of the whole floorpan

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
You'll find it already has a certain amount of factory sound deadening, which can look a lot like grime. Keep it in mind when cleaning it off.

You can also get spray on deadener for some of the harder to reach places.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thanx yeh I did it on saturday, just used ramps. Got covered in degreaser etc! LOL! Used two litres of body deadener, applying it nice and thick with an old paint brush. I might give it another coat this weekend as I reckon it hasn't made a heap of difference to road noise, despite getting right up in every possible spot, any way I've got two more litres of the stuff to get rid of! Seems like a lot of road noise comes up through the doors and I'm not keen enough to pull the skins off and do inside them. Will be probably doing the second coat when I change my diff oil so I can look forward to getting covered in that **** too!!