Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body kits for VY Ute

DiabloRed

Reaction score
Howdy everyone, :wave:
I am looking at possibly buying a VY ute, and wanted to know if someone could point me in the right direction for a body kit. I would preffer an "S" pack body kit preferably. What other body kits would you recommend?

Thanks,
Sam.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
If you're at the point of just considering what to buy, your best bet is the buy what you want, strangely enough!

If you like the S-packs looks, then purchase one :) instead of buying a model you don't like and proceeding to spend more money to swap a front bar.

R

Risky

If you're buying a VY Ute, get the S Series II as it came with the SS front bar with foglights as standard. I have a Series I S & they came with the Executive front bar.

If you're wanting aftermarket body kits, there's plenty on eBay but be aware of the quality of the plastics used. Some are wafer thin plastics & even then you'll need to get them painted. I did a light restoration on mine as the paint was faded & replaced any parts that were broken.

I don't know what your budget is Sam, but here's a few things to look out for when buying a ute:

If the ¼ glass rubber looks worn they are expensive to replace. Holden do have them as new but they are scarce.
The belt line rubber on the base of the window is worn will need replacing & Holden still has them new at a reasonable price.
The plastic sail planes behind the ¼ window & back window are also expensive to replace. Holden still has them.
Make sure the ute hasn't had a hard life with a tradie. Make sure the engine, transmission & suspension are in good condition.
Check the cargo area for bumps, scratches & dings. It will indicate what sort of life it had. A ute liner is a must.
If it has a hard lid, check that it has been installed properly. If it doesn't have one, you're looking at $1100-$2000 so haggle if it doesn't have one.
Tailgate, check for rust, dings, bumps & scratches. They can be a bugger to fix & 2nd hand ones can be expensive.
Make sure the chassis is straight if it's been used for towing & rust at the back will indicate if it's been towing a boat.
Make sure it has a good service history. If any mods have been added, ask for receipts & compliance reports if necessary. Homemade mods could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Seats are a bugbear. Holden went cheap on the seat material & are impossible to replace. To re-upholster will cost a small fortune & to buy decent leather seats is a sellers market. I'm still chasing after a decently priced leather or leather/cloth seats.
Check the compliance plate & VIN. Holden parts at your local dealer will have a history to tell you that you have the right vehicle. You'll be amazed at the amount of people that slap on the wrong badges to say it's another model. Mine originally was spec'd with chaser rims & no FE2 suspension.
Ensure that all the electrics work. Haggle on price if they don't.
Check the drainage tubes in the cargo section. There are 4 all up. If there's rust around them, walk away. If the tubes are there, make sure they are aligned for proper drainage.

VU, VY & VZ Utes, Crewmans, Crewman AWD, one tonners & one tonner AWD variants are rising up in prices depending on condition as they are getting a little rare. If you see prices on eBay for parts & accessories, compare them with the genuine item.

I can direct you to companies I have have used for my restoration but it would help if I knew which state you're in.

Hope this helps you. PM me if you need any info.

Risky

My Ride: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-vz-wk-wl-v2/247468-riskys-2003-holden-vy-s-ute.html

R

Risky

Sam,

I apologise that I didn't notice that you're from SA. I did a quick check on the Trading Post & I found a VY Series II S Storm ute in Adelaide. It looks pretty sorted from the outside. It has a leather/cloth interior but can't tell how many KMs are on it. This would be excellent start point if you want to go further than the standard body kit. It has pretty much what you want. I apologise to the moderators now if they don't allow this link 2004 HOLDEN COMMODORE for sale in Salisbury South SA | 2004 HOLDEN COMMODORE STORM VYII UTILITY
Hope this helps.
Risky