Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body off vs engine gearbox lift

Psgts1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH sle
Hi guys,just about to start my first v8efi into 6 conversation, question is do. Lift the body or lift motor and gearbox, imagining the angle to pull out and put in may be steep and a little dodge on my 1.5 tonne crane, vs the angle of the car!, Donor is vq complete car into VH sle 6cyl, thanks peeps

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I normally pull engine and gearboxes or auto out bolted together. Personally I was going to try and lift the body off the frame I would want a hoist. I wouldn't like to have a engine crane wobbling around with a body attached. I have seen the latter done on HJ utes but they have a full chassis. I also have seen bare Torana shells lifted with a few strong blokes but that was more so it could be transported off a rotation frame to enable the entire shell rotated for painting and moved onto a trailer, with nothing attached.

Psgts1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH sle
Sorry chief my idea would of had the body on stands, motor and gearbox supported by jacks and stands, unbolt kframe,g,box x member, exhaust ECT undu jacks and stands supporting motor and gearbox and roll out, then roll in new one, was never going to hold up the body with a crane, interesting thinking thou...............

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Both ways are more than do-able. Angle to get motor and box in and out isn't too bad.

Alternate way of lifting the body off can be done by unbolting everything then lifting it a little then a block of wood in each strut tower and then hoisting it away.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Easiest way at home without a hoist is by pulling the engine/box out from the top then dropping the k frame.

I’ve done quite a few conversions that way.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You can buy an attachment that goes onto an engine crane, which bolts to the engine, which allows you to adjust the engine angle, via a socket.....Makes it a nice proposition to remove and/ or replace the engine by yourself, minimising the risk of damaging panels.

The nephew and I did an engine swap, with a VN ute about 12 months ago.....Was a V6 5 speed.....The easiest way I found with that, was unbolt the k-frame and associated parts and remove the engine and gearbox as a unit and put it back the same way.....

We made a little dolly set up, to move the assembley, with the body fairly high up....Worked a treat.....So a few different ideas to work with