Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bog in the roof

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ok, all cars in S.A have to be fitted with a hard skin no convertibles allowed in S.A they must all have a roof fixed to the 4 pillars.
Vic, S.A who cares most follow the same guide lines.

S.A law. Roadworthy:

Body and chassis • no cracks or rust in structural components • no unsealed holes in firewall • no sharp edges or projections • all repairs done to an acceptable standard • mudguards covering tyres.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
^ just highlights that SA bureaucrats have no real clue when it comes to engineering.

Won’t help the OP as he has to deal with the SA bureaucrats o_O

S.A would have to be the easiest lot to deal with, when it comes to passing cars for roadworthies......I have had to deal with QLD and I can tell you, half the stuff you get away with in S.A, you've got bucklies with in QLD.

OH and if the OP does as I suggest, it won't be a problem....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
S.A would have to be the easiest lot to deal with, when it comes to passing cars for roadworthies......I have had to deal with QLD and I can tell you, half the stuff you get away with in S.A, you've got bucklies with in QLD.

OH and if the OP does as I suggest, it won't be a problem....
Can’t disagree that the S.A. mob would pass what other states would fail.

In fact some decades ago, it was for this reason that most Aussie semi trailers were registered in S.A. Stuff that other states would fail on safety grounds seem to get through the S.A. mob. The trailer issue was something which was resolved between the states after many semi crashes resulting in deaths within the other states jurisdiction, deaths caused due to these defective S.A. registered trailers. In any case the trailer issue was resolved a long while ago.

However it does seem inconsistent that SA fails a vehicle because of bog in a roof skin yet “you can get away with lots of stuff” (paraphrased) and they are “the easiest lot to deal with” as you say. Such has too much irony for me.

Either way, what you say just reinforces my point that the S.A mob have less engineering nouse than the other states. I’d find bureaucrats with a lack of engineering nouse frustrating to deal with. I always prefer a more engineered approach to resolving issues but sadly that isn’t alway possible.

As to what @Darth Milz should do, I haven’t given him any suggestions. I’ve just questioning why bog in a roof skin is a fail and then why a roof skin is considered structural. Holden itself seem to imply that the roof bow is the structural element and not the roof skin and Vic roads clearly states this as TLH posted.

So I’d say S.A. bureaucrats have it wrong but since Darth has to deal with that mod, even when they are wrong they are right :eek:

If I did give advice to Darth, it would be to find another vehicle without such potential problems, plenty of cars about ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@Skylarking

Bog in the roof skin.....What is it hiding? Like most states and territories, they assume it is rust....This also applies to other panels within a car....And it doesn't matter what back ground you have....Rust untreated (ie removed completely) just spreads and compromises the structural integrety of the panel.....Hence why they ask for the panel to be left with just a protective coat of undercoat to prove it has been cut and re-welded

And if in your particular state, they allow bog showing in a roof panel as a passable part, to me it shows your state's engineering standards need a big over haul and S.A isn't as far behind as you are making out

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@vc commodore , look at the first post I made in this thread where I stated “I’d think that for bog to be used to repair rust in a roof, the rest of the car would be in atrocious condition.”

No where did I state that in any pre registration inspection, anything suspect wouldn’t attract a more detailed look. I only questioned whether a roof skin isn’t structural which seems to be the case as I see it.

It was you that stated “I have had to deal with QLD and I can tell you, half the stuff you get away with in S.A, you've got bucklies with in QLD”. Yet you think “my state's engineering standards need a big over haul”? The semi trailer issue I reference after your post was a decades old problem which was addressed. So the supposed current lax S.A. capabilities I took at face value based on your comments o_O

So, I’m really not sure what you are trying to say. What I’ve been trying to say is that a roof skin is not structural, believe it or not I’ve lost interest in this thread. OP seems long gone :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@vc commodore , look at the first post I made in this thread where I stated “I’d think that for bog to be used to repair rust in a roof, the rest of the car would be in atrocious condition.”

No where did I state that in any pre registration inspection, anything suspect wouldn’t attract a more detailed look. I only questioned whether a roof skin isn’t structural which seems to be the case as I see it.

It was you that stated “I have had to deal with QLD and I can tell you, half the stuff you get away with in S.A, you've got bucklies with in QLD”. Yet you think “my state's engineering standards need a big over haul”? The semi trailer issue I reference after your post was a decades old problem which was addressed. So the supposed current lax S.A. capabilities I took at face value based on your comments o_O

So, I’m really not sure what you are trying to say. What I’ve been trying to say is that a roof skin is not structural, believe it or not I’ve lost interest in this thread. OP seems long gone :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is, you are banging on that a roof isn't structural part of the car, which implies that it would be quite acceptable for the average joe blow off the street to have bog in the roof of a car and not have to worry about any structural issues relating to it. That in turns means, if it is involved in an accident, insurance will cover the damage....

Engineering standards.....It's this simple.....The state of S.A doesn't allow bog in the roof of a car.....It's an engineering requirement.....They assume the worst, as the reason bog is in an area....This is coming from a state that has some relaxed rules......If your state (which I see you haven't mentioned) allows bog in the roof of a car and doesn't assume the worst, their engineering standards need lifting....And that includes you, for banging on, that it's not structural.

As for the rest of a car being in atrocious condition, having rust in the roof....You couldn't be further off the mark if you tried....

Fair enough, some cars would be, but others nope.....I'd suggest you do some more research (which you seem to like) and report back.....I personally know of 3 cars, which have some rust in the roof, but the rest of the car is beautiful.....And I know about them through leg work, not google work...

One happens to be sitting in my backyard.....The car in question is a 3 owner car, and it has a 50 cent piece size rust spot in the top left rear corner of the roof....The rest of the car is rust free. The rust was caused by a vinyl roof being fitted and removed through it's life time....

So keep thinking a roof isn't structural and I feel sorry for anyone that believes you