Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bogan question - VT burnouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hey guys,

I was just on youtube and ended up checking out various VT SS burnout vids ( think it stemmed from the commodores with chev badges vid posted in another thread).

Anyway, I was wondering how exactly does someone do a burnout in one of these if it's auto?

I think I was told you can't do it in these cars because they have something done with the brake set up which applies more pressure to rear brakes... meaning you can't get on the brake etc.
Or was that just pure bs ?

Not looking to go out and do any, any time soon because I cbf swapping tyres out, but I dont want to have the wrong info.

Cheers

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Bit of brake and foot to the floor haha easier to do in a manual obviously but can be done in autos pretty easily. Once u start turnin the tyres, back off the brake and start doin nuts to get the revs up and away u go haha look up drpaskd on YouTube thats me at powercruise last year

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
So you didn't have to change anything with the brake set up ?
Someone told me you need to install some sort of cut off thing for the rear lines because the brake set up causes brakes to be applied evenly around the car.
I used to do em in my old VP Commodore I had years ago which was auto, so I'm not saying I've never done one or know how to do it, but yeah.. just found it odd to hear the car had some sort of strange set up which prevented it ??

(checking ya vids now :p)

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
You dont need a line locker to do burnouts, but they do stop you from warping your rear rotors if you gonna sit on the brake for a while, because you do get presure to the rear brakes when you put your foot on the brake more should go to the front than the rear though.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Not looking to go out and do any, any time soon because I cbf swapping tyres out, but I dont want to have the wrong info.

I find it interesting that people are always like 'I just want to know the theory, not going to go and do it' - of course as a site, burnouts on public roads are not condoned or encouraged...doesn't mean that alot of people don't do them...
The choice is yours to make the informed decision about where to appropriately skid the wheels.

I find that sort of language as being politically correct for the sake of it (forum goody two shoes language) not having a go at ya, just expressing my opinion.

Anyway, onto your question. I'm not sure about the rear brakes setup, but I highly doubt it. In terms of technique, rev it to the stall with the brake on, then floor it and jump back onto the brake and control it using the pedal and brake. (depends how much power you have). A higher stall makes things alot easier.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Im not sure if the V8 has traction control but turn that off, some models have traction control but don't even have a button for it and it has to be disconnected under the bonnet.

If you aren't familiar with the car it can be a little hard, you just have to feather the brake off as the accelerator goes down more or vice versa till you find the sweet spot. Honestly though I haven't even done a line locker in my VT (V6) but I have no doubt I could if I wanted to.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Haha appreciate where you're coming from HamaTime, just couldn't be fked with 'skids are dangerous and illegal, bs bs bs'
was kinda serious though. CBF dropping coin on new rubber yet.

I did try just after I got the car and it seemed just to want to rev high but not actually let go if I got off the brake.
maybe I wasn't doing it right, it's been many years since I owned an auto after all.
Either that or something's too flogged out to do anything... I'm pretty sure it's not putting power to the ground properly anyway, but I could be wrong.
Might be something I should try again at some stage.... on private property away from grannies and children where it can't be heard of seen :p jkz

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Haha appreciate where you're coming from HamaTime, just couldn't be fked with 'skids are dangerous and illegal, bs bs bs'
was kinda serious though. CBF dropping coin on new rubber yet.

I did try just after I got the car and it seemed just to want to rev high but not actually let go if I got off the brake.
maybe I wasn't doing it right, it's been many years since I owned an auto after all.
Either that or something's too flogged out to do anything... I'm pretty sure it's not putting power to the ground properly anyway, but I could be wrong.
Might be something I should try again at some stage.... on private property away from grannies and children where it can't be heard of seen :p jkz

Make sure your not fully standing on the brake you only need light presure.;):driving:

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Build a 383ci torque monster, and enjoy burnouts every time you go within 3 meters of the accelerator pedal!.. Thats my plan :idea3: :driving:

Status
Not open for further replies.