Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boiling over! No water!

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Really? Well don't know how to bleed that mate? Can you explain?

Just know I took it for a drive just to by any chance things might change... And well.... Put coolant temp mode on, drove for about a good 20 mins and temp was displaying 108c most of the time but would then rise to 119 and both fans would come on. Drove fine and never rose more then 3/4. One thing tho, it was making this fart noise (like placing a leaf between your lips and blowing) only when accelerating from traffic lights.

Is there some sort of treatment that I can put in to seal as a temp thing? Could this treatment help lubricate a sticky thermostat?

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
any water coming out of your exhaust?

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
See step 2.

Attachments

• vz%20v6%20coolant%20change-37.jpg
    vz%20v6%20coolant%20change-37.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 522

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Thanks that info mate. Didnt know it had a bleed valve on on these radiators but will try.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Ok I had the guys come and have a look and he said it's definetly the water pump. He replaced it but im still having problems, called them back and he is basically saying the thermo is sticking and needs replacing aswell. He quoted me $863.64 including GST for part and fitting. Coolent would need to be changed again as he recommended (was changed with water pump) and at an extra cost!
Am I getting ripped off here??? What do you guys suggest???

gleamodawn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT CALAIS
Yeah, I had the same issue with my VT ., Had the whole cooling sysem done, new radiator, water pump, hoses, thero, for about $700

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
$700 is pretty good, did you know someone in the business or you replaced parts yourself? Also would expect parts to be cheaper for the older Ecotec engines.

I'm just thinking im getting ripped off and $900 is abit steep!

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I highly doubt the thermos would fail the same time as the pump. And that noise you say you heard, did it happen with high revs, or just under acceleration? Did he show you the old pump and where it failed? Because at least on the buses that i work on, when a water pump fails there will always be evidence that most people would recognize(Broken blades, worn blades, bent shaft, excessive clearance of blades to housing) .

Did you ask him to change the water pump, or did he diagnose it? If he picked that as the problem, and it didn't fix it, you either shouldn't have to pay for it, or he has to fix the problem for free. If not, go somewhere else mate. Otherwise he can keep diagnosing another problem for you to pay for.