Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bolt for remover snapped in harmonic banlancer

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi. My step dad tried to use a harmonic balancer remover in the process of replacing CAS but snapped one of the 3 bolts inside it. I don't suppose there is any way of removing it now without damaging the harmonic balancer? 96 VS Commodore.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
You could try a different style of puller such as https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-G-Tec...644824?hash=item3b04aef318:g:D9wAAOSwNWxZ~J3Z

A tip I used when using the bolt-style puller. Don’t try to simply pull the harmonic balancer by turning the puller center bolt alone. The puller bolts in the V6 are quite thin and are easily snapped. I got told to tighten the puller firm, then give it a light tap. The shockwave will loosen it a bit. Tighten it again and repeat. It will eventually come loose enough to be easily remove by turning the centre bolt without too much effort.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can try using a screw extractor. Drill a hole in the bolt and fit screw extractor and wind it in bolt in theory should come out. TBH I'd be inclined to replace the pulley regardless because they are a common part to fail.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
You can try using a screw extractor. Drill a hole in the bolt and fit screw extractor and wind it in bolt in theory should come out. TBH I'd be inclined to replace the pulley regardless because they are a common part to fail.
Be a bit of a prick trying to see in that little hole let alone get the drill in the proper place in there. I suppose we could take the fan and radiator out to make space.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
You could try a different style of puller such as https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-G-Tec...644824?hash=item3b04aef318:g:D9wAAOSwNWxZ~J3Z

A tip I used when using the bolt-style puller. Don’t try to simply pull the harmonic balancer by turning the puller center bolt alone. The puller bolts in the V6 are quite thin and are easily snapped. I got told to tighten the puller firm, then give it a light tap. The shockwave will loosen it a bit. Tighten it again and repeat. It will eventually come loose enough to be easily remove by turning the centre bolt without too much effort.
I wish literally any post I had read on removal mentioned that. Thanks for that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would have thought the fan would have been out already? Makes the job a bit easier if it is.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Should be able to leave the rad in place. Use a cordless drill they are smaller.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
You might find that the broken bolt will come out relatively easily once the balancer is off.

However, I’d suggest getting a three legged puller (which are relatively cheap to buy) and pulling it from the outside edge of the balancer. It’d might damage the balancer, but if it does, it’s probably due to be replaced anyway - and it’ll save you the trouble of extracting the broken screw from the old one.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
You might find that the broken bolt will come out relatively easily once the balancer is off.

However, I’d suggest getting a three legged puller (which are relatively cheap to buy) and pulling it from the outside edge of the balancer. It’d might damage the balancer, but if it does, it’s probably due to be replaced anyway - and it’ll save you the trouble of extracting the broken screw from the old one.
The claw type? Yeah we were considering that. Thanks.