Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Bolt size

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Reminds me of my spare 304".
No heads, sitting on garage floor, breaker bar on the ground, attached starter and powered it with jumper leads.
Needless to say it did not go to plan. The breaker bar caused the motor to fall over, jumper lead slipped out of hands attached to starter, dented oil filter, and there it is on it's side winding over at a reasonable pace.
I had to laugh, but later choose different plan of attack.

Never do....IMA, would have been interesting being there when it happened :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
feck no.. don't be silly :p

the short 600mm one I bought maybe 35+ years ago .... Sidchrome back when they were not made in China but really, not that exxie. No memory of actual $
the 900mm is a Toledo .. again not that expensive. From memory it was $140... ish in the early noughties maybe about 15 years ago
and the 1200mm... special order thru a mate who works in the truck spares industry. A special order 1200mm no name breaker bar ..
cost $110 (had to pay upfront remember that)

Got to say, you've got a good memory with that stuff.

At least you weren't silly enough to cough up stupid dollars for those tools :D

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
So have you undone one without using a rattlegun?

I didn't realise Holden made a V8 diesel engine and fitted it into a Commodore. Must do some checking into that.

$1200 for a snap on ratchet....Rep saw you coming

Last harmonic balancer bolt I did, was on a V6.....I used a breaker bar, resting on a rag on the chassis rail....Disconnected the fuel pump relay and hit the key. 1 loose bolt.....Tried a 2 month old electric milwalkie rattle gun and didn't budge it....

Why the heck mention diesels when talking about a 304 V8 Holden engine?

Why the heck mention a V6 when talking about a 304 V8 Holden engine?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Are they snap on brand? I hope you didn't pay over $1,000 each for them :D:p
A Snap-on breaker bar is about $300 in half inch I think they're just over 1000mm.

My ratchet is a 3/4 drive so it's no a breaker bar it's a ratchet that would break any cheapo bar. I bought it after my kinchrome breaker bar broke and smashed my shin then they denied my warranty.

Do you just put **** on ppl with snap-on tools because you can't afford them? I think it's like putting **** on ppl that have turbo smart and motec just because you can't afford an ebay turbo on your mang.

My first ratchet as an apprentice was a snap-on 3/8 flex head long handle follwed by some SP ones in a kit. The snap-on was used and the SP one sat unused until I cut it down into a banjo ratchet.
I now have 9 snap-on ratchets in different sizes and two have 3 rebuilds on them over the last 12 years and it was all warranty same day too.
Yea if you're a home gamer go the sidchrome or kinchrome or repco tools but when you're on the tools you need quality. I also have Knipex, Koken, T&E, SEK, Bluepoint and some SP stuff.
Would you buy a Miller or Fronius to do some welding in the shed at home..... of course not but you see metal fab shops with them because they're fit for purpose in a prduction quantity workshops.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A Snap-on breaker bar is about $300 in half inch I think they're just over 1000mm.

My ratchet is a 3/4 drive so it's no a breaker bar it's a ratchet that would break any cheapo bar. I bought it after my kinchrome breaker bar broke and smashed my shin then they denied my warranty.

Do you just put **** on ppl with snap-on tools because you can't afford them? I think it's like putting **** on ppl that have turbo smart and motec just because you can't afford an ebay turbo on your mang.

My first ratchet as an apprentice was a snap-on 3/8 flex head long handle follwed by some SP ones in a kit. The snap-on was used and the SP one sat unused until I cut it down into a banjo ratchet.
I now have 9 snap-on ratchets in different sizes and two have 3 rebuilds on them over the last 12 years and it was all warranty same day too.
Yea if you're a home gamer go the sidchrome or kinchrome or repco tools but when you're on the tools you need quality. I also have Knipex, Koken, T&E, SEK, Bluepoint and some SP stuff.
Would you buy a Miller or Fronius to do some welding in the shed at home..... of course not but you see metal fab shops with them because they're fit for purpose in a prduction quantity workshops.

So you paid $1200 for a ratchet that you haven't used to remove this bolt. yet another member pays $140 for a tool that actually removes this bolt.....Shows you are an idiot making a comment about it to begin with

Have you removed this bolt without air tools?

I have a 3/8 drive flexible head snap on ratchet that has broken the ratcheting lever twice in 3 years. I had to wait a week for the rep to come and repair the pos ratchet..This has been with in 5 years and I don't use it that much....Prefer my SP branded one

My SP ratchet stuffed up once, with the ratchetting and it was replaced that day....Had no problems since and that was 8 years ago.

All the other crap you have just posted is just that....Irrevelant crap

Oh and the motec/turbo crap or mang for my stuff...You stuffed up again douche bag.... I'm all old school.....Carb all the way....Straight 6 and no computerised crap to keep my cars running

Big noting about prices you paid for tools don't wash with me.....To me it shows, you're a douche bag

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Why the heck mention a V6 when talking about a 304 V8 Holden engine?

Why the heck speak crap about tool pricing, when it's not used to do the job in this thread?

Why did I say about a V6....That's the last harmonic balancer bolt I did in the Holden range...

So answer, why mention about diesels in this thread, when Holden don't make a V8 diesel engine

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I used to love that trick of breaker bar/pipe against chassis rail & turn key...untill saw dopiest apprentice ever damage a customer car & nearly take himself out in the process.

Scary people out there & somehow that one was even allowed have kids haha

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Why the heck speak crap about tool pricing, when it's not used to do the job in this thread?

Why did I say about a V6....That's the last harmonic balancer bolt I did in the Holden range...

So answer, why mention about diesels in this thread, when Holden don't make a V8 diesel engine

First quote
Because he's a tool.

The answer to the other two is because you both like to talk ****.