Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bolting up a turbo on a stock RB30

vlturbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina Turbo
on one of my turbo 1600's i dont run a bov but run a cooler and just a pod straight off the turbo and she flutters does sound sweet, just got a vl turbs and want to get a similar sound, may not be possible as it has a bov and this lets the compressed air between the comp housing and throttle body escape when throttle body closes thus preventing any compressed air returning to the comp wheel and slowing it down (in theory to prolong the life of the bearing) etc etc

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
yeah, the BOV is stopping you from dosing. if the BOV cant let the air out, it will come out through the turbo instead, making the dose sound

vlturbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina Turbo
dose

its a cliche isnt it (if thats the right word) the bov prevents damage to the turbo by venting the unused compressed air to the atmosphere where as to get the dose i am actually slowly reducing the life of the turbo. What i noticed this arvo just from putting a k'n pod filter in place of the fact airbox was the amazing amount of air its suckin thru, its heaps more responsive and when i hit it thru boost in 1,2,3rd she just spins and hooks up sideways. Under hard accel there is this huge suction sound and even thou it blows off this almighty hiss comes out of the pod when changing gears. Thanks for your help bro n make no mistake i aint no fully sick kebab munchin show pony dose junky, just a typical aussie bloke who's a little partial to the flutter!! By the way my profile pic shows my 70 1600 wid series 2 vp v6 mate i wanna s'charge it any tips. How good do the vs clubby kits look, i got one on my 96 vs, best kit out!!

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
haha yeah you dont sound like a typical vl driver. which is good. but yeah, theres a fair bit of discussion about whether dosing will destroy a turbo or not. probably depends on how cheap the turbo is, how well its made. and yeah, vs hsv kits are mint

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
ok so this is me turbs that DANNY8 is talkin bout,

any idea what sort it is? the lad i got it off reckons its off a 300zx?

turbs001.jpg

turbs002.jpg

turbs003.jpg

turbs004.jpg

turbs005.jpg

turbs006.jpg

oh yea, just had a suss at me block and it seems she's a s2 so bring on tha turbs.

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
on one of my turbo 1600's i dont run a bov but run a cooler and just a pod straight off the turbo and she flutters does sound sweet, just got a vl turbs and want to get a similar sound, may not be possible as it has a bov and this lets the compressed air between the comp housing and throttle body escape when throttle body closes thus preventing any compressed air returning to the comp wheel and slowing it down (in theory to prolong the life of the bearing) etc etc

a blow off valve isnt designed to prolong turbo bearing life, or to produce dose.

it is designed to reduce turbo lag while changing gears or decellerating then accelerating.

it does this by allowing the turbine to keep spinning where the buildup of compressed air would otherwise slow the turbine down and it would need to build up speed again.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
ok so this is me turbs that DANNY8 is talkin bout,

any idea what sort it is? the lad i got it off reckons its off a 300zx?

turbs001.jpg

turbs002.jpg

turbs003.jpg

turbs004.jpg

turbs005.jpg

turbs006.jpg

oh yea, just had a suss at me block and it seems she's a s2 so bring on tha turbs.

Looks like a stock vl turbo t3 what has been painted...

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
lol, yeah the black paint on the exhaust side is gonna burn off before the engine gets to operating temp. and itll smell funny for a few days. happens all the time at work