Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bonnet cable works when it wants to!

mwhit43

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs excuetive
ok, so i pulled the bonnet release and the bonnet clicked and it didn't open its been doing it for a while now, the bonnet cable just works when it wants to, is there a soloution? would the cable need to be replaced?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
either replace the cable or hitting the bonnet in the d/s corner as youve got the lever pulled usually opens it.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
just disconnect it from the handle you pull disconnect it from the radiator support/latch and pull it through the firewall first taking note where it is routed so when you feed another through so you know where to run it, but now i think about it you should be able to just loosen the screw clamping the cable to the radiator support and pull the cable to tension it a bit and retighten, id try that before you waste money on a new cable .

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
THERE IS A SMALL ROOM FOR AJUSTMENT) if it aint broken)
ok, so i pulled the bonnet release and the bonnet clicked and it didn't open its been doing it for a while now, the bonnet cable just works when it wants to, is there a soloution? would the cable need to be replaced?

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Try some grease on the lock pin. The old stuff dries out and the bonnet wont pop open.
This extra friction doesn't help the cable!

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
If it's at the stage where you have to push on the bonnet to open it, it will break sooner or later. I'm on my second cable in the VP, but I replaced it with a freebie that has the same problem. Might buy a new one when this one goes.

Good point about greasing it too.

BerlinaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR Berlina - Stock standard
Yeah, my VR gets stuck when I haven't greased it in 6 mths or so - been doing it for a few years. Run around and do your door hinges and bonnet catch etc with some white grease.