Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bonnet Insulation

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
For anyone who has ever owned an older car.. they didn't come with underbonnet insulation and the paint was never harmed at all, so you can scrap that one. Since cars weren't fitted with it, it was certainly legal not to have any. It doesn't serve any useful purpose other than to reduce noise.

I can see why a damaged lining, hanging like a curtain, could be considered a fire hazard. I would be surprised if removing it altogether was illegal though. I don't have any on my fibreglass bonnet, never did, and its had no problem passing a QLD roadworthy inspection recently.

Not saying I am right, just echoing my experience. Maybe the law has changed and you need one and I just got lucky. It seems unlikely to me though, I can't see how not having one reduces the safety of the car or the others around you, and that's what the laws are supposed to be for.

yeah older cars didnt have them but i think its a case of if the car came out with 1 from factory then it needs 2 have it ud find. but then again the pits do miss things from time 2 time depending who ya get i guess.

I paid like $15-20 or something I think it was. Got it from Mick on here, was still attached to the bonnet, we pretty much cut the clips off to minimise damage to it.
I might go out and buy a brand new one at some stage, but yeah, for now it should be fine.

sounds like the way 2 go have u managed 2 find new clips yet? i suppose holden will want an arm and a leg 4 them lol

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Clips have apparently been sent to me yesterday, likely to receive them this week. Got them from another forum member :)

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
I don't have any on my fibreglass bonnet, never did, and its had no problem passing a QLD roadworthy inspection recently.

Not saying I am right, just echoing my experience. Maybe the law has changed and you need one and I just got lucky. It seems unlikely to me though, I can't see how not having one reduces the safety of the car or the others around you, and that's what the laws are supposed to be for.

last I checked its illegal to have a fibreglass bonnet down (down here in Vic anyway) due to they don't crumple like a genuine bonnet and causes problems with insurance etc..

don't think its illegal not to have a insulator tho unless they have changed the laws again (also being in different states makes it hard for us all to say what we can do and can't lol :unsure:

frankenstein

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x 97vts and 2000 wh
havent got one on mine never caused an issue never had one on my vn for 4 years paint never bubbled went over the pits 4 times on it never got picked on it. just makes the bonnet a bit hotter after you remove it apart from that nothing else my old vnss never had one either and it went over the pits with out mid last year and again not one it of paint bubble on the bonnet

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
last I checked its illegal to have a fibreglass bonnet down (down here in Vic anyway) due to they don't crumple like a genuine bonnet and causes problems with insurance etc..

don't think its illegal not to have a insulator tho unless they have changed the laws again (also being in different states makes it hard for us all to say what we can do and can't lol :unsure:

I got away with mine, no-one seemed to care. If they give me any probs about it in the future, it shouldn't be too hard to get a mod plate. If that doesn't work, I will just have to flick it and buy an identical bonnet from Blits body kits in QLD, who have ADR approved fibreglass bonnets identical in every way that I can see to mine - complete with certification paperwork.

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
I got away with mine, no-one seemed to care. If they give me any probs about it in the future, it shouldn't be too hard to get a mod plate. If that doesn't work, I will just have to flick it and buy an identical bonnet from Blits body kits in QLD, who have ADR approved fibreglass bonnets identical in every way that I can see to mine - complete with certification paperwork.

thats pretty awesome then :) was a few years back was looking at a fibreglass one with monaro scoops where less than half the price of normal ones until i found out wouldnt be able to be covered for insurance.

looks like they would do the job tho! nice kits on there too.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I havn't been shown proof for or against whether not having one will stuff paint, but I'm leaving mine on just in case and when it carks will get a replacement.
Personally, I think the constant heat off the engine would stuff the paint over time, like leaving it parked in the summer sun all day everyday could do likewise. Fortunately even up here, it gets 3-4 hours of hot midday sun which regular waxing seems to prevent damage occuring, bit IMO, no bonnet isulater would mean hotter bonnet, more often. My strut brace sits just under the bonnet and if I pop the bonnet while the engine's hot I can't touch the strut brace for more than a second, it gets so hot.
I've read many for and againsts on this forum before, though!

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Seems that way, so longs as it's not illegal (which it's seeming it's not) I am not overly worried, as let's face it, my car will need a respray when I fix it up anyway. My logic is should damage be incurred, by that time I'll be fixing it anyway.

joshyewahh

Lumpy VY-II SS! 335rwkw!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY-II SS 6spM
i never had any of that under bonnet insulation on my old CE lancer. and the paint never bubbled or cracked in the year i had it.

atm my insulation under my bonnet is looking abit old n tattered. i cleaned it up abit with a razor, n it looks neat again. dont think ill be pulling it off though. just to be safe, its one more thing you could "possibly" get defected for...

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Cant see how it would be illegal to remove it, it performs no safety or environmental purpose.

As to paint bubbling, I had a twin turbo 302 XC Fairmont with no intercooling and no bonnet insulation living in Alice Springs for nearly 10 years. You could fry an egg on that bonnet for 6 months of the year. Never noticed any problems with the paint at all, and it was only your basic early 80s quality aftermarket acrylic... modern paints are much more durable.