Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bonnet Insulation

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hey guys,

Can't find a definitive answer in any other thread.
There's not much left of the insulation under the bonnet, it's more like a curtain, is it needed? Is it there for any reasons beyond noise reduction?

If it's only noise, I'm not worried, but some people reckon the paint will get wrecked. I don't really want all the bonnet paint peeling off. Does anyone know for sure? Can it be removed and left off without cause damage to the paint or anything else for that matter.

Regards,
Mike.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
theres a reason why every single car has one... the heat will wreck the paint if there isnt one there

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I've not had one on my car since I got it last May, so far the paint hasn't bubbled or anything like that. I'm fitting one up though as soon as I get some clips.
Will be okay in the short term I think?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
pretty sure its illegal if u dont have 1 aswell, and if the cops see it lookin like a curtain they class it as a fire hazzard? ive been warned about mine once b4.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hmm, looks like I'll need to replace it soonish. Looks like it's peeling in layers too, the first layer was very fine cloth and less than 1mm thick it basically was on it's last thread so I pulled it off. The main body of it is ok, I'll just put it on the list.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
really ? good thing I'm fitting one up !

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Hmm, looks like I'll need to replace it soonish. Looks like it's peeling in layers too, the first layer was very fine cloth and less than 1mm thick it basically was on it's last thread so I pulled it off. The main body of it is ok, I'll just put it on the list.

lol mine started doing that also i cut mine back after i got warned so it couldnt peel any further.

daniel how much did u pay 4 urs? i remember u got it from the wreckers tho, did they already have it seperated from a bonnet 4 u? i was a lil worried gettin 1 second hand that it'll break easily just trying 2 get the clips off.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
For anyone who has ever owned an older car.. they didn't come with underbonnet insulation and the paint was never harmed at all, so you can scrap that one. Since cars weren't fitted with it, it was certainly legal not to have any. It doesn't serve any useful purpose other than to reduce noise.

I can see why a damaged lining, hanging like a curtain, could be considered a fire hazard. I would be surprised if removing it altogether was illegal though. I don't have any on my fibreglass bonnet, never did, and its had no problem passing a QLD roadworthy inspection recently.

Not saying I am right, just echoing my experience. Maybe the law has changed and you need one and I just got lucky. It seems unlikely to me though, I can't see how not having one reduces the safety of the car or the others around you, and that's what the laws are supposed to be for.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
also the clips are normally one use only... they will more then likely break when trying to taken them off :p

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I paid like $15-20 or something I think it was. Got it from Mick on here, was still attached to the bonnet, we pretty much cut the clips off to minimise damage to it.
I might go out and buy a brand new one at some stage, but yeah, for now it should be fine.