Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bonnet Sanding

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
Hey all.....

iv just decided to sand back my bonnet as thier are a few rock marks and a little dint at the front... also maybe some rust spots appearing.....

i have been told that just sainding with paper is best, but i am thinking an electric sander would be the way to go

any idea?

also after this i must look into bonnet scoops lol

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
When I sanded down my car for the respray I used 120grit on a vibrator sander, try to go in long motions and take it back to bare metal.
Push out an dints you can det to with a hammer & dolly, If your painting in 2pac you can use high fill primer to fill up any small dints.

Dont leave the bonnet too long bare metal as it will get surface rust on it fairly quick.

As for the bonnet scoop, I suggest if you dont have an engine reason to put on on dont. If you still must put one on, talk to an automotive engineer in your state and ask him what your allowed & not allowed to cut away on your bonnet.

cheers
Scott

stevenvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice gen 3, 1975 HJ Statesman
Either way of sanding is ok an orbital sander is the best tthough and try to use one that has a level on there to change the speed so you dont actually burn the paint.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
haha here's a funny story.....when I sanded my bonnet back I was to impatient to use a sander so I used a drill with the sanding disc on the end. And it turns out if u sand with the edge of the disk, it really bites into it and removes the paint qwiker.......well now I have small deep scratches over my entire bonnet...I just left it and painted it, but now that I'm gonna respray my car again soon, I'm getting a 2nd hand bonnet....get it on Monday for $50 :)

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
hey,

yeah finally got around to sanding my bonnet, their is one massic dint in the front middle area, anyone no an easy solution for this problem??

heres some pics of the job...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/SiLeNt-SoN/Sanding Bonnet/RIMG00288.jpg - got bored sanding, so made patterns lol

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/SiLeNt-SoN/Sanding Bonnet/RIMG00388.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/SiLeNt-SoN/Sanding Bonnet/RIMG0002212.jpg

its only an undercoat now, im looking at a really dark navy blue coat, and then i will sit back and decide wether i like it, or change back to yellow lol

tell me what yas think....??

L

leeroybrown

paint stripp it, mask off the edges an inch in, throw plastic off the sides,put ur paint stripper on with a brush an gloves, cover that with plastic to keep it air tight,scrape it of with a scraper,sand the leftovers,fix ur dents,etch prime it, 2k prime it then rub it,