Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bonnet

Nathan72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 3.8
he guys just go my new toy vs 96 aclaim... when i was cheackin it ova b4 i bought it i popped the bonnet and it came staright up i got her home and now she won't come up when i pull the leaver it just clicks and stays down anyone no why this might be happening

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
theres a couple of reasons that could be cause this, the most likely is a stretched bonnet cable. they just wear out over time and loose their tension and dont pull the pin out enough to let the bonnet pop up.
try giving the bonnet a wack when you pull the lever, or get a mate to push down over the top of the bonnet at the front while you pull the lever, it should open up then.
to fix the problem adjust the tension of the cable at the engine bay end, if it still plays up a new cable is pretty cheap and easy to fit yourself. you just need to hook it onto the back of the lever in the car, run it through the firewall and along the top of the quarter panel sill inside the engine bay, then attach it to the pin in the socket that releases the bonnet (basically just take note of how you take the old one out).

Nathan72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 3.8
yeh mate tryed all that the bonnet won't even budge now is there a way to do it from under neath near the radiator

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ah k, you've well and truely jammed it huh. its a bastard to get open now. it sucks on the vs because you cant just take the grill piece out (like on vn-vp's) as its part of the whole bumper.
but what you can try is two things. first is to get some pliers and reach up behind the bumper to where the bonnet cable runs along the top, get a grip with the pliers and give it a good yank, whilst getting someone else to push the bonnet down.
if that doesnt work, the last resort is to get a long flat head screwdriver and some multigrips....reach up behind the bumper and find the "bolt" (dont really know what else to call it) that is attached to the bonnet which sits inside the socket to hold the bonnet closed. this bolt should have a slit running down the middle, perfect to stick the flat head in and undo it...but what you will find is the bolt had a kind of flat metal nut (sort of) at the base where it is attached to the bonnet, you need to grap this "nut" with the multi grips whilst you turn the flat head.
like i said, its an absolute bastard to do, but try to have patience, what your doing is unscrewing the bolt from the bonnet, so there is nothing left holding the bonnet down. once you get it unscrewed, lift the bonnet up and screw the bolt back into it...id recommend not closing the bonnet again till you get a new bonnet cable of find out why it jammed up on you.
hope you can make sence of all that, its a bit hard to explain.

nevj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Acclaim
he guys just go my new toy vs 96 aclaim... when i was cheackin it ova b4 i bought it i popped the bonnet and it came staright up i got her home and now she won't come up when i pull the leaver it just clicks and stays down anyone no why this might be happening
Is it parked on a slope or is the parking position temporarily twisting your chassis. Try parking on level ground if so. Was the car level when you popped it before buying.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
or you could do what i did to mine.... i hit a light pole. now it open fine