Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boomer the '78 kingswood

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Just a thought, the inspection cover hasn't come loose has it? Or been hit? After tinkering with mine tonight I realized my flywheel was scrubbing the inspection cover, maybe yours too? Take it off and try it

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
I doubt it unfortunately, I ran it for a bit yesterday, it was eating oil, and smelled pretty bad, I checked the dipstick and there were definitely bubbles in the oil and possibly metal filings :bomb:

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Ooooh yummy. Did I sayy 202 packed it in at 286,000 your almost there

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Open heart sugery

Ok so all plans to fix up the ute have been put on hold due to needing a car for work. So...to make things even more exciting, Im going to attempt to swap the engine out of the ute into the sedan.

Sooo, Its like this:

Engine out of this one

Into:

This one

So im gunna pick up an engine crane tomorrow and well see how it goes, how hard can it be?

Im still gunna be fixing the ute, but i really need a work car :unsure:

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also......dumb question time

What is this off the thermostat housing?

And why is it not on this engine?

And was that bad?

:help:

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Honestly, no idea!
I've go an hj pre ADR.

I'd imagine something to do with the pollution gear I'd imagine. It runs without it by the looks of it, so swap it out and block it and worry about it later!

It'll take a day to swap out and have running.
I had a 202 manual out and a 253 auto in and running within two days.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I need ideas people, I want to throw an engine into the car as much for the experience as so I can cruise in her before the serious engine building starts.

So I have 3 main options

1. Source a cheap 202, should be easy to find
2. Buy a 308
3. Rebuild the 253 I have, I basically just have to put the heads and carby on, however I'm not sure the cam is any good in her

I'm keen to put a v8 in it, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a temporary engine (temporary being upto a year)

Any thoughts are welcome

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Ok I need ideas people, I want to throw an engine into the car as much for the experience as so I can cruise in her before the serious engine building starts.

So I have 3 main options

1. Source a cheap 202, should be easy to find
2. Buy a 308
3. Rebuild the 253 I have, I basically just have to put the heads and carby on, however I'm not sure the cam is any good in her

I'm keen to put a v8 in it, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a temporary engine (temporary being upto a year)

Any thoughts are welcome

202 is the cheapest and easiest

If it's just putting together the 253, and maybe a cam, do it since you want an 8
But budget on a salisbury, box that can take all that grunt and prolly engine mounts, ect
Brakes are the same as 6cyl.
You also need to decide if your keeping the column shift or going floor.

I'd scrap the idea of a 308 as a temp engine, they too expensive to throw away.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
202 is the cheapest and easiest

If it's just putting together the 253, and maybe a cam, do it since you want an 8
But budget on a salisbury, box that can take all that grunt and prolly engine mounts, ect
Brakes are the same as 6cyl.
You also need to decide if your keeping the column shift or going floor.

I'd scrap the idea of a 308 as a temp engine, they too expensive to throw away.

Ok, I've decided to rebuild the 253 it will be good for the experience.

So today bought myself a 1250kg engine crane, and this book:

20130422_103059_zpseeaf4c3a.jpg

As well as head gaskets and sump gasket. The plan is to put the top back on the engine, then worry about the cam, after, can anyone recommend a good cam?

If all goes well this engine will most likely end up in the ute later on in life.

As for what goes behind the engine, would the vn's box and diff hold up to the 253? The power figures are very similar I think?

-from an underfunded hoon

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
That book is great, I've got it myself.
The vn box won't bolt up, I'm half way through that conversion my self. You need to find a v8 trimatic, assuming its trimatic pattern, make sure the linkage is on the correct side. if you take it easy the banjo will cope, but if your going to give it a bit of stick, you'll find it won't last long, but it'll give you time to sort a new diff.

If you really wanted a t700 box, it either get the block drilled or conversion kit. Adaptor, tailshaft, box mount, adaptor plate or redrill, adaptor ring on the converter if using an adaptor and modify the torque converter, then you need to sort out speedo cable, kickdown cable and then the torque converter lock up!

A lot of work for an extra gear. I'm going it only because it was cheaper than building a new trimatic.

I'm not sure what can I have, but it's a reasonable one. I've heard I think it's a crane, tq20 cam, if you look it up on they're website it'll give you the rundown on specs to compare on other brands.

It'll be a good experience to build a 253, they're pretty simple, all your bolt torque specs are on page 77 (I think) in that book. Just have a check at all the bearings while the engines out, and do the rear main while it's out too, saves having to do it later doesn't the track