Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot Latch Is Stuck

D

Du`ranain

just bought my VL Berlina today, when we left the seller's home the boot latch opened fine, but i've just spent the last half hour trying to open it to no avail. it seems to be stuck on something, as i can unlock it and it pops up slightly, but then wont open up even enough to see in there. has anyone else had this problem? how can i fix it/get into my boot?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
if i do remember correctly, you can access the boot threw the back seat, if you get into the back seat and into the boot, you will see that the boot is held onto the body using a boot latch, it will be held on with a little bolt, if my memory serves me, it's a 1/2 inch socket peice, remove this bolt, and the boot latch will come off, but make sure you put some sort of a mark on it before it comes off, e.g put a liquit paper mark on it. then you can simply open the boot by pushing it. if the latch is still atatched when you remove it try to unlock it, if it dont unlock, you will find it's actualy the lock, sorry, cant help you with this one, im not a lock smith, but i know they arnt cheap

cheers
garth

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Having not seen a berlina in a long time I have two questions for you.

Does the vehicle have an electric boot release? Usualy a yellow button in the glovebox.

And two does it have a portion of the rear seat that folds down to gain entry into the boot or can the rear seat come out to gain entry, remove the lower part of seat first, usualy a 2x screws at the front of the seat holds them down, I think or it may just lift up by pushing rearwards and pulling up. (Sorry again but when I was doing the deed on the back seat I only had an old SS HQ and now I'm married so no more ANYTHING!!!)

Kind regards Guy.

D

Du`ranain

the boot release button works, but the latch is stuck, so no dice there. the locks will unlock(custom locks), and it does open slightly, like a few mm, but then it's totally unmovable any higher.

from what i've seen with the rear seat, there looks to be no boot access from there. but i'll check properly in the morning.

oh, a short question before i go, could anyone tell me the minimum legal ground clearance needed to pass roadworthy? my friend commented that it appeared to be too low. looks fine to me tho...

chuck

Reaction score
legal height is 100mm with full car and tank at lowest point .
when u unlock the boot have u tried rocking it side to side it may be adjusted wrong and hooking up on the latch .

chuck

Reaction score
Have u tried rocking the boot lid side to side while you unlock it, It may be out of adjustment .
The legal height is 100mm when u have 4 adults and a full tank in the car and thats at the lowest point of the car not including bracks and suspension obviously.

BUT WHO CARES

D

Du`ranain

i got it.

had to pull out the back seat and reach thru a small hole with a pole that i'd taped a screwdriver onto and give the latch a big shove, and it popped open. it still sticks tho, not sure what's up there. seems the previous owner has removed the wiring for the boot release in the glovebox, my best guess for this would be the custom locks that have been fitted to it.

B

bushy

hey man,
yeah i had the same problem on my vl once.
once you release the lock by rattlin it round a bit, (real mechenical) it just takes a little bit of repositioning to where the latch can open and close effectively, as sometimes it hits or gets caught on the outer edge of the latch. otherwise you can get a new lock, try the wreckers first if it comes to it.
best of luck
bushy!!!