Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot Latch Won't Stay Open

GIJoel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
So I've gotta press the boot popper while simultaneously lifting the boot, this is fine when the car is off and I've got the key, but the popper in the glove box is pretty much useless because the boot latch won't stay open by itself. I've got a short term fix, just spray with CRC, but that's the problem, it's short term.

Maybe the boot is too heavy with the spoiler, or the struts are too weak, or the latch mechanism is too tight, or a combination of the lot.

What's the best fix? Cheers

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I have noticed this exact problem with a few customers cars (VT/VX) that I have worked on, and all of them have had a spoiler as well. I have never been able to figure out why it does it but have just been spraying the latch with CRC thinking it might help it a bit.

Sophie92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th anniversary 3.8l
if i click my button on my key i have about 2 seconds to lift it or it locks again... is this the same thing?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
If they have the incorrect gas struts (i.e. the ones for the non spoiler boot), it will not stay up. The spoiler not only ads more weight, but changes where that weight is, specifically - right over the lock.

All I can suggest is replacing them, shouldn't be an expensive endeavour.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Had the same problem with my VX GTS. The rear of the boot rests on a couple of round rubber mounts each side near the tail lights. You can turn the rubber mounts on their thread and this moves them up and down. You need to turn them so they move upwards a bit and place more tension on the boot when it's closed. This helps it pop open and stay open. Just move the mounts a turn at a time and try opening the boot until you're happy with the result.