Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot Leaking

Lozzza

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
1988 VL Executive
Hello All,

Just a question... My VL boot is leaking. Eg. When it rains, puddles form in the front of the boot. Is this a common problem, and how do I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
i had this problem, but mine was from when it got resprayed the guy didnt seal my tail lights so the water was running straight down the back of the and into my boot. Mine was easy fixed by putting silocine in and around the top of my lights

Also you could check the rubber that runs along the top of the boot, i resealed ,mine cause it looked a bit dodgy

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
i wouldnt recomend using silicone as it attracts moisture and can cause rust.First thing id do is make sure all the rubbers seal properlyt and are in good condition then check all the gaps

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If you want to find where a leak is coming from just hop in the boot with a torch and get somebody to spray water onto the boot. You shoud then be able to see if its a rust issue or an old seal :w00t:

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
lol thasta different approach but that would also work well lol

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Gunnolf said:
If you want to find where a leak is coming from just hop in the boot with a torch and get somebody to spray water onto the boot. You shoud then be able to see if its a rust issue or an old seal :w00t:
yep thats how u do it, and pull the rubber seal of teh boot it is common for the whole lip to be rusted away and allow water in.
the corners of the back window is the other prime spot, water gets under the rubber and runns onto the parcel shelf then drips down thought the rear seat belt retractors causing them to seize up and then gets in ur boot

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
yer ive got that a rust trail from rear window to boot

Lozzza

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
1988 VL Executive
I don't have any rust in the boot as yet. Where would I take my car to get it fixed?

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
Lozzza said:
I don't have any rust in the boot as yet. Where would I take my car to get it fixed?

well if there's no rust and you just need the seal replaced then it's a pretty simple job to do yourself at home.

Lozzza

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
1988 VL Executive
thanks for ur advice. i went to a local smash repairers. they cheked it out and there was no seal over my right tail light. they sealed it then hopped in the boot and sprayed water over it. water was still coming in. then pulled up the seal and found acouple of rust holes. they sealed it up. was a cheap job for me... $25!