Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot Light Help

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
Hey guys, i was replacing my boot light with a couple ccfl tubes today, thought it was an easy job of cutting red and black wires and attaching them to the red and black wires from the tubes and done. BUT that hasnt been the case. They just wont work. I thought i may have blown a fuse as my interior light on the roof stopped workin, so i checked the fuses and yeap blew the fuse for the interior light, so i replaced it but my boot lights still wont work.
My question is, is there another fuse just for the boot light??? or have i stuffed something else up.

cheers

scotty

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey guys, i was replacing my boot light with a couple ccfl tubes today, thought it was an easy job of cutting red and black wires and attaching them to the red and black wires from the tubes and done. BUT that hasnt been the case. They just wont work. I thought i may have blown a fuse as my interior light on the roof stopped workin, so i checked the fuses and yeap blew the fuse for the interior light, so i replaced it but my boot lights still wont work.
My question is, is there another fuse just for the boot light??? or have i stuffed something else up.

cheers

scotty

Hi Scotty

I've checked my VT wiring diagrams and the boot light circuit is pretty simple. The switch simply earths the light, so check first to ensure that you have a good earth.

The circuit is shared by the glove box light and the ignition switch light - do they both work?

There is an interior illumination relay (under the steering column, I think) which draws power from a fuse (F6 in fuse block - probably the one you replaced).

Test the circuit with a test lamp. The power wire to the boot lamp is the Orange with a Black Tracer. If you have power at that point, the problem is either your lights or the switch to earth. If no power can be located, trace back to relay and check your other interior lights mentioned above.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
yeah just had a look then, the ignition light works as well as the glovebox light. where is the switch for the boot light?
Ill test the circuit tomorrow.
Thanks alot for you help, much appreciated

The boot light switch is mounted on the lower edge of the bootlid on the right hand side.

Prickle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Auto Sedan
I could be wrong, but i think most ccfl tubes need a control pack to run them, 12v into the pack and then ccfl runs off the pack.... i know they used to be that way, may have changed now and have the control gear built in.

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
I could be wrong, but i think most ccfl tubes need a control pack to run them, 12v into the pack and then ccfl runs off the pack.... i know they used to be that way, may have changed now and have the control gear built in.

Yeah ive got that control pack, checked the wiring to the switch but all good so ill probably just get it looked at coz my rear demister isnt working either.
Anyway thanks for your help guys.

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
Hey guys just thought i'd let u know that my ccfl tubes were stuffed, they were the problem the whole time. I knew the wiring was right when i accidently hit the black and red wires together and they smoked up a bit. So i replaced the fuse again and put in my other 12" neon and it went straight on. So wont be buying ccfl tubes for a while.

cheers guys

scotty