Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot Release Cable

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
ok here goes i have a friend who has just baught a vl commodore
and it has that electric boot release button in the glove box.
when you push the button the solenoid strikes and pulls the cable but not far enuf to release the boot lock is there a way of tightning the cable so when it strikes it pulls the cable far enuf to release the boot.
i.e a tension screw or something somewhere.

chuck

Reaction score
there is some adjustment where the soleniod bolts on, but if that doesn't work take the rod out and shorten it.

MuNtEd

Reaction score
In A Box Somewhere Up The End Of Your Street
Members Ride
94 VR EXEC
does anyone know the colour code for the wires for the boot reslease solenoid
as my vl i'm doing up has the solenoid but there is no switch for it in the glove box or anywhere but there is a few wires that are loose/cut

chuck

Reaction score
In my VK ther'e black and orange if that helps hope your VL is the same.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
the old vl boot release cable,

it's not actualy a cable, there is a little electromagnetic motor that sit's in the boot lip, just beside the boot latch, you press a button, and it puls in, pulling open the latch, relasing the boot,

my susgestion, is get under the boot, look up, get someone to push the botton for you, see what happens, you will probably find you need to adujst the posistion of the little motor, there should be some little scews holding it in the lip, try moving it into different possiy's, if that dont work, bend the peice of wire (it looks like coat hanger wire) so it will pull in, but be carefull, you bend it to much, you will stuff it up in a huge way, hope this helps

cheers
garth

king_timmy

king_timmy
Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL excecutive
boot release button

hey pplz,
just bout my 1987 vl last friday it all worked fine untill after a couple of days the boot release button stopped working its one with the yellow button ones in the glove box and the lock on it is stuffed the key doesnt want to go in i ended up cutting the wires and takin the wires out of the black rubber things there in and tried feeding it more wire so when u push the button the wire is closer to the metal prongs on the back of the button ........ didnt work lol, i need to get into my boot badly how do u take out the backseats out

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
To take the back seats out, start with the bottom lift the back of the bottom seat up and push the front of it down then back, do with each side. Back rest there are two prongs on the bottom holding it in place bend them or try pull out then smack the back rest up. There are 3 clips for the back rest to fit back into.

You can throw a multimeter across the switch to see if it is making a connection still (i cant see how it could really stuff up though)

But there should be a orange and black cable plugged in the back of the switch, if you make this connection and it opens then the switch is stuffed.

The orange cable runs back to the fuse box and connects into fuse 17, check if this is blown. (Fuse 17 is not labelled in the lid but is the fuse for the switch on the vl im working on and mine) If unsure pull the fuse rail out and have a look for a for a couple of cables goin into fuse 17 (orange).

If this part dont work ur solenoid is stuffed, or have a cut cable somewhere.
Hope this helps.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
hmm
Vl boot release is a solenoid and 2 screws just move the solenoid back a bit to tighten the wire rod.
Also it is fused in the fuse box and only a 12volt lead goes to the solenoid.
Once the solenoid is bolted to your boot lip it is earthed. The metal housing is its earth.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore 3.0 litre
Have also ahd problems with my boot release button and lock so I greased up the latch and the wire running from the solenoid to to the latch (inside the boot) with some proper grease (caltex) and gave everything a bit of a wriggle so it was all nicely lubed up and put some more grease on where needed, and the boot now pops open easily, this may help out some but others may find the problems the release button or something electrical (fuse Number 17 , wires connected to button, soenoid is stuffed etc...) Hope this is of some help.

:thumbsup: