Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot release wont work on ve ss-v sportwagon

D_Wilson_83

D_WILSON_83
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportswagon
hi all

having dramas with the touchpad boot release for the tailgate on my ve ssv sportwagon!
has worked intermittently over the past few days, and have checked any fuses and relays i could under bonnet and front passenger foot well regarding 'rear end release', and all is good!

anyone else has similar dramas, and or know how to fix? have a booking on wednesday at holden to have a look.. its good fun getting into the back via rear seats in the mean time... NOT!

Cheers!

D_Wilson_83

D_WILSON_83
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportswagon
its an auto!

ive tried it in most gears, car running and not, and still no go! im baffled...

and silly holden have no other way to open it besides crawling in there through theback seats, removing a big rubber plug, and showiving a rather large flathead screwdriver in the recess and turning to release the bootlock! no glovebox release, no key release, no keyhole on the outide to unlock it and open it either!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
as already suggested, dealer issue... they'll fix it. my sportwagon working fine, but you make an excellent point... pretty concerning there is no 'backup' to opening to the rear hatch! there should at least be one in the remote key (theres even a spare spot for it!).

the model I test drove had a remote button in the glove box. I'm wondering if there's wiring in there we could utilise to make our own remote opening switch? would come in handy me thinks! ask dealer if there's an option for the sportwagon when you go in and how much it costs... that'll give us our answer!

in regards to the fault, sounds like there's an issue with the actual touch pad in the door handle. but if you find out anything more, let us know here- very interesting.

D_Wilson_83

D_WILSON_83
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportswagon
update on non-opening tailgate!

car came back from Sunco Holden tpday on the Sunshine Coast, QLD, and isnt fixed!
they had it from 8am til 4pm and hadnt given me any courtesy calls to tell me that it wasnt going ot be fixed today.. i rang them myself at just past 3pm and they informed me what they THINK it is, and that they dont have the part! they said this is the first time they have seen this problem...

according to them it is the 'touchpad switch for the tailgate' that needs replacing..
the part no. i got over the phone from Eagers Holden in Windsor, Brisbane, is '9223 5758'.

car is now booked into Eagers Holden in Newstead, Brisbane, on Friday morn, which is the closest holden dealership near where i live in Enoggera, Brisbane.

this is all very fricken frustrating and renders my wagon useless as i have to keep getting to everything via the back seats!

while im at it, some pros and cons of the Sunco Holden dealership!

+ got the car back and it was somewhat washed on the outside! looked more like it was lighty sprayed and wiped down, either way it was cleaner on the outisde than when i gave it to them!

+ they nicely fixed the bulb under the gear selecter that i mentioned to them, so now the P, D, N and so forth light up, which they never had from day one!

- they didnt call me to keep me upto date with what was going on with the car, poor service in my mind!

- the service guy gave me the wrong key, which i didnt notice until i was trying to unlock my car and failing, but was rectified when i walked back in

- the panel running along the drivers side of the centre consel and centre compartment just underneath the handbrake was completly hanging down, so had to go BACK in again and tell them to clip it back in..

All up, im not a happy chappy! there.. i feel a little better now after that rant!! HAHA

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
woohoo I was right- touch pad :).

Big shame about the dealer experience mate. I don't know Brisbane all that well, but why are they asking you to take car elsewhere? Surely they could have diagnosed problem and organised a part to be sent to them!

Say 30min tops to find out the issue, 5min to make a phone call to organise part and shipping, 5min to call you to tell you that car will need to come back for fitting.

Poor service :(. Was this the dealer you bought the car from?
I wouldnt be taking it back there, they sounds like arses!
They had the car for the whole day and waited for you to call them in the afternoon to tell you that the car isnt fixed.

Goes to show you how different experience you can have from dealer to dealer. I live in south canberra, and there's 2 dealer I could have bought my car from down here. Instead I had to go to the complete opposite side of town and by from the north... sucks.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Well I've just experienced this problem 2 weeks ago while visiting the Sunshine Coast from Vic. I opened the vehicle to access access stuff in the front and when locking it the horn sounded indicating an open door. Checking the tailgate found it half open so to speak, meaning it wasn't shut properly but I was unable to unlock it with the touchpad. Of course this then entailed entering via the passenger door and opening the tailgate with the screwdriver trick.

Once shut properly it wouldn't respond at all with the touchpad and seeing as it was a weekend and being so far away from home I didn't like the chances of a fix till returning to Vic. The following day I again entered the front of the vehicle and once again found the tailgate half open, so every now and again the tailgate would half release when the key button was pressed. No fuses were blown but I did notice that the touchpad seemed very soft which led me to believe water or moisture had entered somehow. Thinking back and just the day before the initial problem and I had washed it by hand (never used one till then) at a car wash and used that high pressure spray hose they have.

So, out came the hairdryer (the woman are good to have along at times) and I dropped both number plate lights out which is a simple task and blew hot air up both sides for 10 minutes or so. Wallah, problem solved and has worked perfectly now for nearly two weeks. After drying out the moisture the touchpad feels very different and firm compared to before. As a result of this I'm much more careful where and how I apply water around that area.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
interesting.

where do you think the water got in mate? are you talking about water getting in around the actual pad, or water coming in from nearby affecting the pad?

the boot only every caused me one drama in the past... and its very similar to what you described, half closed boot, trying to lock the car. in trying to rectify, the boot pad wouldnt let me open the hatch to reclose it properly. but the way I fixed it was to just push down on the boot to close it, and then relocked and reopened the car via remote.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
I can't be certain but I suspect the chrome strip across the back. From memory I didn't spray under near the touchpad but certainly along and around that chrome strip area. If you pull out the two number plate lights (a two second job) and feel around with your finger, both sides of the touchpad are enclosed but not the top which would certainly trap water, although I haven't had the tailgate trim off to check for sure. It may be that a little silastic would prevent any further problems so I'll check it out one day. I've washed the vehicle since being mindful of where the water was going around that area and there hasn't been a problem.

The touchpad should feel fairly firm if that makes sense and not overly soft. It certainly changed the feel of it after drying it out with the hairdryer which should be first angle of attack if anyone else comes across the same thing. Other than that the machine has been running sweetly. Gone from Melbourne-Canberra- -Gosford-Sunshine Coast and averaged 9.4 l/100 although I'm a nanna driver. Reset the trip from the Sunshine coast to Gold Coast on freeway where its in its element and averaged 8.4 l/100. Its certainly loosened up with 9000 k's on the clock and will be interesting to see what it does on the trip home!