Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot release wont work on ve ss-v sportwagon

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yes the whole replacement is likely bolted in. I can't confirm as I didn't remove it completely.

If your not replacing it with another, you can do as above. The switch parts can be separated fairly easily so nothing unnecessarily needs to be removed, ie the actual pressure switch and not the switch housing/body.

I have replaced a number of switches over the years, and My advice is the REMOVE the Chrome Trim, and do it properly,
Any other way is possibly only Half doing the job !

Imagine the result when your BFN and you can not open the rear tailgate to get the Spare out,
Who do you think would be more pissed off ?

For not getting it fixed knowing it was faulty -
The Driver,
The Wife
The Kids
or
All of the Above !
The RACV would be in Vic, RACQ in Qld, etc, etc knowing it could have been fixed so he (RACV) doesn't have to drive 50k's to open the tailgate. and change the Spare.

Last edited:

Jacob1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 commodore
This is a thread that keeps on giving!
My 2012 Sportswagon developed the tailgate not opening problem after a wash this week.
Found this thread and used the info from kwaka738 and Dvskiwi to do the $4.95 AUD fix. Everything on and off without breaking anything and it now works perfectly.
Many thanks for bothering to post folks, really helped me out.
Hey mate need to do mine too any chance could help me out I'm willing to pay you

ilepakanit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
View attachment 194444 View attachment 194451 View attachment 194452 View attachment 194453 View attachment 194454 Have had the same problem with my 2010 VE Sports wagon. After a waterblasting to clean it the boot wouldn't open. I ended up pulling apart the boot and removing the chrome strip that houses the number plate lights and the touch pad. Called some wreckers and they wanted $200 for a second hand part or holden wanted $599. I though I will dry the moisture out and see how that works. Managed to dry it out and put it all back together and it worked till it rained and moisture got back inside the pad. Me being me didn't want to pay the silly prices they were asking for a second hand part so read these forums and took a trip to JayCar told the guy what I was looking for and he gave me the correct part . I pulled the boot apart again being careful as the chrome trim that houses the threads can break real easy. Once apart i removed the old touch pad completely from it's housing removed the rubber boot removed all the workings of the old touch pad and drilled a hole in the middle to suit the new switch button I had purchased. Cut a hold in the rubber touch pad and mounted the new switch button. Soldered the 2 wires from either side of the touch pad onto either side of the switch button and problem solved. Reassembled the whole lot and have a perfectly working boot again for the price of $5.90 and about 45mins work, compared to the $200 for a second hand part or $599 for a new part and there is no risk of it ever happening again as the switch button is IP67 Rated so waterproof..

The switch button I brought from Jay Car is as follows if anyone else wants to do this cheap and easy mod.

Code:SP0656
Switch Push Mom IP67 Blk SPST

Sorry about the photos but it gives you some idea. It's discrete,does not show when fitted and functions as the touch pad would unlocks when car is unlocked and locked when the car is locked.

Hope this helps someone that's having the same problem.Exact same thing happened with my VE
View attachment 194444 View attachment 194451 View attachment 194452 View attachment 194453 View attachment 194454 Have had the same problem with my 2010 VE Sports wagon. After a waterblasting to clean it the boot wouldn't open. I ended up pulling apart the boot and removing the chrome strip that houses the number plate lights and the touch pad. Called some wreckers and they wanted $200 for a second hand part or holden wanted $599. I though I will dry the moisture out and see how that works. Managed to dry it out and put it all back together and it worked till it rained and moisture got back inside the pad. Me being me didn't want to pay the silly prices they were asking for a second hand part so read these forums and took a trip to JayCar told the guy what I was looking for and he gave me the correct part . I pulled the boot apart again being careful as the chrome trim that houses the threads can break real easy. Once apart i removed the old touch pad completely from it's housing removed the rubber boot removed all the workings of the old touch pad and drilled a hole in the middle to suit the new switch button I had purchased. Cut a hold in the rubber touch pad and mounted the new switch button. Soldered the 2 wires from either side of the touch pad onto either side of the switch button and problem solved. Reassembled the whole lot and have a perfectly working boot again for the price of $5.90 and about 45mins work, compared to the $200 for a second hand part or $599 for a new part and there is no risk of it ever happening again as the switch button is IP67 Rated so waterproof..

The switch button I brought from Jay Car is as follows if anyone else wants to do this cheap and easy mod.

Code:SP0656
Switch Push Mom IP67 Blk SPST

Sorry about the photos but it gives you some idea. It's discrete,does not show when fitted and functions as the touch pad would unlocks when car is unlocked and locked when the car is locked.

Hope this helps someone that's having the same problem.
Talk about moisture when I detached the chrome strip. A big fat THANK YOU for this
I held off fixing my sportswagon boot since the end of 2020 when Holden charged me $500+NZ ; today I went to Jaycar and purchased the same button for $5.90 and a soldering starter kit $20 and got the job done Thank you so much ; now I don’t have to tell my son to go through the rear seats to open our boot YAY! Pics attached not too clear but i am so happy.

Attachments

• 86E4B7E4-BD23-4FD1-91BC-BFDC073F54BB.jpeg
    86E4B7E4-BD23-4FD1-91BC-BFDC073F54BB.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 106

brettsnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportwagon
Hi

I've been having the same problem with my boot only opening intermittently but when I push the touchpad I can always hear the switch activating/clicking even though the boot doesn't release. Everything works perfectly when the boot is open and I close the latch then open it. Does this mean it's the actuator that's failing and not the switch?