Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot release wont work on ve ss-v sportwagon

Dvskiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SPORTS WAGON
20170823_102603.jpg
20170823_111113-1620x2160.jpg
20170823_112914-2160x1620.jpg
20170823_113341-2160x1620.jpg
20170823_114700-2160x1620.jpg
Have had the same problem with my 2010 VE Sports wagon. After a waterblasting to clean it the boot wouldn't open. I ended up pulling apart the boot and removing the chrome strip that houses the number plate lights and the touch pad. Called some wreckers and they wanted $200 for a second hand part or holden wanted $599. I though I will dry the moisture out and see how that works. Managed to dry it out and put it all back together and it worked till it rained and moisture got back inside the pad. Me being me didn't want to pay the silly prices they were asking for a second hand part so read these forums and took a trip to JayCar told the guy what I was looking for and he gave me the correct part . I pulled the boot apart again being careful as the chrome trim that houses the threads can break real easy. Once apart i removed the old touch pad completely from it's housing removed the rubber boot removed all the workings of the old touch pad and drilled a hole in the middle to suit the new switch button I had purchased. Cut a hold in the rubber touch pad and mounted the new switch button. Soldered the 2 wires from either side of the touch pad onto either side of the switch button and problem solved. Reassembled the whole lot and have a perfectly working boot again for the price of $5.90 and about 45mins work, compared to the $200 for a second hand part or $599 for a new part and there is no risk of it ever happening again as the switch button is IP67 Rated so waterproof..

The switch button I brought from Jay Car is as follows if anyone else wants to do this cheap and easy mod.

Code:SP0656
Switch Push Mom IP67 Blk SPST

Sorry about the photos but it gives you some idea. It's discrete,does not show when fitted and functions as the touch pad would unlocks when car is unlocked and locked when the car is locked.

Hope this helps someone that's having the same problem.

Last edited:

bunabaroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Wagon
Dvskiwi you're a champ! I did this exact fix to my tailgate today and it works perfectly. The $4.95 switch is all I bought, and the job took less than an hour, awesome.

Many thanks for such an enlightening post.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
The switch idea is what I’ll try next time if mine fails again.

What I did was dry my touch pad out, spray a heap of WD inside the touch pad, then totally sealed up the whole switch with electrical silastic. Has worked as good as new for the last couple of months.

Kia

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vf wagon
Will the same work for the MY14 VF?.. took it to the dealer and they said $900 to fix the problem. I’m currently looking into other options as $900 to fix the boot old mates having a laugh. I’m no mechanic but Did get the boot open with you he screwdriver playing around with the lock works perfectly when the boots open but as soon as I lock it nothing won’t make a sound.

davekell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 calais ve sportswagon
My series 1 calais wagons tailgate would half open by itself or not work at all if there was so much as a drop of moisture in the air.
My local dealer wanted $550 plus labour to fix. I followed the jcar switch mod as shown in previous posts. Took less than 30 mins and has worked faultlessly ever since.

Ginnypov

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 sportswagon
Hi all, I highly doubt the hairdryer will work for our VE 2010 sportswagon. Left the problem to hubby to fix...... It's been well over 12 months since the tailgate button ceased to work, and I've had enough of straining/stretching over the seats and it gets worse when the 2 child'seats are buckled in.... A grand appreciation to admin for letting me register and a tremendous thank you to Kwaka738 and DVSkiwi for your detailed workings..... Now to procure parts in NZ an get my hands filthy

Matman44

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh caprice
Hi Guys `n` Gals, I just bought a 2009 Ve International sports-wagon a few days ago - I knew at the time there was an issue with the tailgate, it wouldn't open..ha
Anyway today , Sat 20th... I decided to look at it, I had already done some research thru the forum and youtube so had an idea there might be some expense in rectifying the problem. First I removed the tailgate trim, then the chrome strip with the touch pad and harness.The number plate lenses can be easily flicked out with your fingernail - or a small screwdriver if you`re worried about chipping your fingernail polish..lol..
Once that part was on the table I removed the rubber switch cover and cleaned the contact area. Reassembled it and before refitting the chrome trim etc I plugged the harness together first and found it still wasn`t working.

Cup of coffee and a biscuit later I decide to take out the touch pad again.
PLZ NOTE - YOU CAN DO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING WITHOUT REMOVING THE T/GATE TRIM OR THE CHROME STRIP
LIFT THE TAILGATE, GENTLY PRY OFF THE RUBBER COVER THEN AGAIN GENTLY PRY OUT THE TOUCH / SWITCH...
IT JUST CLIPS OUT.. IT WILL NOW HANG BY TWO THIN WIRES.. i WANTED TO ASCERTAIN IF IT WAS THE TOUCHPAD
OR THE `ACTUATOR` LOCKING MECHANISM DOWN ON THE FLOOR AT FAULT BEFORE I BOUGHT ANY PARTS SO I STARTED
TO STRIP AWAY THE WIRE INSULATION WITH THE INTENTION OF BRIDGING THE TWO WIRES MOMENTARILY TO SEE IF THE
LOCK ACTIVATED.
THAT'S WHEN I NOTICED THE AREA ROUND THE MEMBRANE WAS PRETTY CORRODED AND RUSTY LOOKING --
PLUS ONE OF THE WIRES WAS BROKEN AT THE SOLDER POINT
I PLUGGED THE HARNESS BACK IN AGAIN AND FLICKED THE WIRES TOGETHER . CLACK - ALL GOOD -
TOMORROW I`LL RE-SOLDER THE WIRES AND TEST THE SWITCH.. IF ITS STILL U/S.... LIKE JVSKIWI I`LL BE TAKING THAT TRIP TO JAYCAR.

APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS, MY KEYBOARD SEEMS TO BE UPSET ABOUT HAVING WINE SPILLED ON IT...... HA.
VE.JPG

SUN 21ST......My attempts to solder the wire back were futile as the switch was pretty well corroded and to difficult to work with. A quick trip to Jaycar, 30 mins later up and running again. Thanks JVSKIWI......

Last edited:

Dean ss Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss Ute
hi all

having dramas with the touchpad boot release for the tailgate on my ve ssv sportwagon!
has worked intermittently over the past few days, and have checked any fuses and relays i could under bonnet and front passenger foot well regarding 'rear end release', and all is good!

anyone else has similar dramas, and or know how to fix? have a booking on wednesday at holden to have a look.. its good fun getting into the back via rear seats in the mean time... NOT!

Cheers!
We had the same problem with the mrs 2010 Calais wagon. The touch pad wasn’t working due to water getting into it. Holden quoted us $149 to look at it $200 for the new pad plus labour. I went to jacar and brought a water proof touch button and drilled a hole and wired it straight through the old touch pad works absolutely perfect and only cost $8

Ginnypov

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 sportswagon
Yes I too read and applied post details from DVSkiwi 24 Aug 2017..... Update from my own post....... I needed hubby to drill the hole, but everything is simple And Fixed. NB: be very careful with removal of chrome lining.

Plainwhitevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2
This is a thread that keeps on giving!
My 2012 Sportswagon developed the tailgate not opening problem after a wash this week.
Found this thread and used the info from kwaka738 and Dvskiwi to do the $4.95 AUD fix. Everything on and off without breaking anything and it now works perfectly.
Many thanks for bothering to post folks, really helped me out.