Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot strut VR Statesman broken, Need replace

James909

James
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
My boot strut on vr is broken last week only on Passeneger side but Driver side is fine.

So I would like to know what to do and how to replace it, is it easy to do myself? Here pic and where can I buy it off like ebay and which better brand name of boot strut.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Can definitely get them on eBay. Easy to change, just lever the strut off the ball at each end and just click the new one on.

You might even find that they have them at your local Repco, Autobarn etc. Just make sure you get the Stato/spoiler ones not the standard ones.

James909

James
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Thanks, I will have a look at local auto shop. When I open boot last week and find this boot strut is hang there like this, I didn't know where it is connect to behind boot, I have LPG tank behind boot not sure where it sit behind the boot for boot strut?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
,,,,,,, I didn't know where it is connect to behind boot,......................
And you didn't look at the strut on the other side of the boot to see how it was connected?

James909

James
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
BlackVXGTS - I found the problem, I look at Driver side and know what it look like so I look to Passeneger side, turn out, the thing hold is broken and fell itself and hide behind gas tank took me while to try fit new struts so I found the parts is fell from behind boot.

Here picture, what can I do with this? It look like weld something to stay on the behind boot.

Passeneger Side - see metal it is fell off

Driver Side - see how it connect to metal on top of boot.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
yeah spot welds have broken prob got whacked when the gas tank was installed.... to re weld it your prob going to have to remove the gas tank or at least move it a safe distance..Or you could remove the rear panel shelf and drill a couple of holes and then bolt the plate to the shelf...still going to have to be careful of not drilling the tank as it looks close by....another possibility is to use a standoff from the jack holder and bolt the ball on the strut to that.....assuming its sufficiently far away so the boot closes before the strut is fully compressed

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
The spot welds on mine were starting to tear thru so I just drilled them out replacing them with bolts one at a time. Was a pain to get the trim off the parcel shelf as the rear seat has to come out.