Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot struts DIY

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Been cleaning out the car this morning, found my boot struts had completely failed. Is it an easy DIY job to replace them? I took a look, I think I can figure it out... better get it fixed before I crack my head one day, already happened on a few occasions, ouch.

I found struts on ebay for $40. Is this an acceptable price, or are they usually cheaper?
Holden Commodore VT VX VY VZ Boot Lid Struts w/Spoiler | eBay

I'll check first with the local GM dealer and see the price there... I'd be tempted to buy the ones that manage a boot with a spoiler (even though I don't have one), since they're stronger, they would probably last longer... am I right?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
They won't last longer, just make the boot harder to close, will probably fly open though. Probably bad for it to come up too hard.

Easy as piss to change, just have a mate to help you. When you disconnect one strut the boot lid will probably come down hard if your not holding it. Trust me I know this from experience. Though not as hard as the time I did the exact same thing with the bonnet, damn that hurt.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi mate. Done! Got someone to do the job for me, watched as I held the boot, very simple procedure. Bit pricey those struts though... $70 and only available at one of the GM spare parts center here, nowhere else. But hey, better be safe! Don't want to risk getting a concussion haha! :D

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Damn that's expensive. But its not like you have a massive range of options. I bought mine of eBay here, but I'm thinking most sellers won't ship outside Australia.

Yeah concussions suck. It gave me a hell of a headache when my bonnet fell on my head. But on the plus side, once my thick noggin had stopped the bonnet falling, I saw that my fingers where millimetres away from squashed by the falling bonnet, since they were in the hinge area. I'd take a headache over some broken fingers any day.

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
It might be different but while looking fir struts for my vs I got quoted $14 a strut. But it was from a place that makes them on the spot you just take in an old strut or the measurements of the one you want and how strong you want it to be