Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot vent

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Okay, Ive been cleaning my boot out.. Vacumming and shiz.
I was looking at the passenger side of the boot.. and noticed a hole, and next to it a vent?
Photo0156.jpg

Do I need a vent there?
Ive been getting a **** load of dust in my car and im sick of it.. I know ive got small holes and stuff it can get in by.. but I wanna stop dust all together.. What should I do?

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
theres meant to be a second vent thing where theres a massive hole is. that would explain all the dust.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I think without a vent it would be more difficult to close the doors with the windows up.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
theres meant to be a second vent thing where theres a massive hole is. that would explain all the dust.

Oooh thanks, I figured it out :p I got some good ol' duct tape and fixed it... When on a dirt road and no dust, that I would normally have anyways..

I think without a vent it would be more difficult to close the doors with the windows up.

Ahh interesting! :p

Is it worth getting a new Boot vent? or just keep the good-ol duct tape?

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Is it worth getting a new Boot vent? or just keep the good-ol duct tape?

It should be free (as a goodwill gesture, especially if you buy something else) from a wrecker, if so yes :).

Wrt to blocking the vents, apart from closing doors, back in the day, the boot carpet design in early VN's was such that it could fall and block the vents. The result was a high pitched whine with the ventilation fan on and the doors shut. Crack a window down or open a door and it went away. Very difficult to figure that one out the first time you come across it. Might be interesting to see if that still happens with a VR (with ~18 year old door seals) though and duct tape is cheap enough to try it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you block the vents you may end up getting more dust in as they are designed to maintain a positive air pressure inside the cabin.... you may create a negative cabin air pressure which sucks the outside air with dust into the car.
I'd doubt you could buy new ones as they are designed to last the life of the car. If they were letting dust in, it would only be to the boot.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
If you block the vents you may end up getting more dust in as they are designed to maintain a positive air pressure inside the cabin.... you may create a negative cabin air pressure which sucks the outside air with dust into the car.
I'd doubt you could buy new ones as they are designed to last the life of the car. If they were letting dust in, it would only be to the boot.

Ill just block the hole next to the other vent..

Honestly after doing that I had no dust what so ever; No joke going down a dirt road would of made me choke because of the dust that was getting in.. Honestly couldnt breath sometimes.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Those vents are only one way arnt they? They let pressure and stuff out and not letting dust and dirt and water in