Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bosh/Hitachi

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
In my comm manual i noticed that they listed both bosh and hitachi,I also noticed tht the hitachi was 60 or 70 amp output and the bosh is 45.Do they both just interchange/hookup?Is there any advantage in getting a hitachi say for spotties and running air con etc?

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
what are u talking about....

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
alternators.

most alternators for our year are. depends on if your talkin' carb'd 8 or efi 6. carb'd 8 is just a single wire hookup to the battery. earth is taken care of through the body and there is a single wire for the battery warning light.

thats it.

efi i dont know.

Thanks for the reply.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Pretty sure they all interchange but the V8 came out with a bigger alternator as standard, i dont remember what amp though.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
I always thought Commodores had Bosch or Lucus. Never knew Hitachi were used in Commodores.

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
Yep, the VK 6 cylinder EFI's came out with a 60 amp Hitachi as standard. Hitachi alternators were also used on all factory fitted air-con models with the carby 6 and V8. The Calais models were fitted with a Hitachi 70 amp alternator. I dont know why, I can only assume at the time, Bosch or Lucas did not have an alternator that could provide greater than 55 amps. I had one in my VK until the Hitachi regulator failed, by that stage in 1991 it was cheaper to buy a new replacement Bosch/Ingrams aftermarket alternator (now supplying 60 + amps models), than fixing the Japanese Hitachi.