Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

boss amp problem

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
well i've been tryin to figure out why my amp won't let the sub or speakers work

what's happening is, the amp power is on, there's no red protection light coming on which tells me the ground, positive, and remote wires are fine, but still no speakers or sub are coming on

only thing i can think of is the amp is $@!%ed or somethin has short circuted, but i pulled the case off and there seems to be no sign of burnouts in any or the resistors, etc....

it's been running fine since i put some crossovers in and hooked em up to mtx 6" splits, and mtx tweeters, i've also got some boss 6x9's and a mtx 15" sub hooked up to it, the front speakers are working cos theyr'e hooked up to the headunit, so i can hear sound, but not everything, it just stopped working when i took the headunit off standby, to cd, not even a bang, or pop or any nasty noise

wires seem to be hooked up fine though
any suggestions if anyone can help
cheers

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
oh and if anyone asks, i've checked the fuses, they're all good, so :S
i neeeeed bass desperately, treble hurts :(

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
raised_fist said:
well i've been tryin to figure out why my amp won't let the sub or speakers work

what's happening is, the amp power is on, there's no red protection light coming on which tells me the ground, positive, and remote wires are fine, but still no speakers or sub are coming on

only thing i can think of is the amp is $@!%ed or somethin has short circuted, but i pulled the case off and there seems to be no sign of burnouts in any or the resistors, etc....

it's been running fine since i put some crossovers in and hooked em up to mtx 6" splits, and mtx tweeters, i've also got some boss 6x9's and a mtx 15" sub hooked up to it, the front speakers are working cos theyr'e hooked up to the headunit, so i can hear sound, but not everything, it just stopped working when i took the headunit off standby, to cd, not even a bang, or pop or any nasty noise

wires seem to be hooked up fine though
any suggestions if anyone can help
cheers

What sort of Headunit are you running? Double check the amp is getting signal from the headunit......and if you have a multimeter then check the voltage at the amp on the remote, and the Positive terminal.....
If you dont have a multimeter then a test light will do....

Try this and see how you go.....

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
i tested the remote wire, otherwise it wouldn't turn on, true?

it's a kenwood mp3/wma headunit, spent $800 on it back in the day, only like 2 years old

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
semi said:
theres your problem
i was going to restrain myself, i thought " no lets be mature, no bagging boss. the owners leave me bad rep!"
still nice post!

on a more serious note, boss do have a bit of a habit of breaking/burning down so if you are after a bit more reliability (sorry a wee bit pissed, can't spell too well) then maybe look for something else otherwise take that bad boy to a car audio shop.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
does the headunit have line out volume control in the menu somewhere? otherwise check your rca leads havent simply fallen out/come loose... it can happen im sure. simple problems sometimes. other than that ill have to agree boss isnt great. although my friend and his "sweet sweet barina" has a sony xplod sub and a 2ch boss amp in it and its insane. bassiest thing ive heard!! those little bastard hatch backs are a sub box themselves. i did install it of course... :whistling

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Look, I really REALLY dislike BOSS amps and there is a reason for that.

I hate to say it but it sounds like you've been BOSSed. Check everyones advice for sure but I'm willing to lay down $10 on anyone willing to collect it that the issue is the amplifier and for your sake I hope I'm wrong.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Id go check that u are gettin 12v to it the boss amp i had wouldnt llight up the protect light unless there was NO ground....if it was only groundin out 6v it would still light the green light up as if there was no problem but the sub would barly moved.....id just check ya power with multimetre see if its gettin the right voltage.....to check if its the RCA's get sumone else with a amp with line out and run the leads from the line out from one amp to urs if its the same as b4 theres sumfink wrong with the amp....if the amp is fuged get a better brand... boss are crap there freq adjustments do nuffin and arent very effeicent...

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
if possible grab a mates amp, hook it up and see if it works, thats how i check whiether its an amp or a wire issue.

theres every chance its the amp. but my mate has had a boss amp for yonks and no problems... i still cant believe its still working after some of the abuse it has been involved in.