Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Both power seats not working

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Guys,

I read a similar post about a WH caprice with a similar problem but this is a bit different. Just today the power seats have stopped working in my VYII Calais, both seats have stopped, not just the drivers. To add to it the power mirrors are also not working. Sounds like a simple fuse? However the fuse box shows me that the power seats have a circuit breaker 20A and then the cruise, seats and mirrors share a 10A fuse also. The cruise works fine. So to be safe I replaced the 20A circuit breaker and the every! fuse in the internal box. No go! So i tried pulling the seat sides off and the kick panels and disc/reconnect every clip and loom I could get to in and under the dash as per a previous post, still no go! Mirrors also still no go at all. And the circuit breaker was hot as hell so I assume there is power going to it. There is also no real reason for this to happen other than it being very hot today. Any ideas, meanwhile the seats are stuck in my wifes 5ft nothing height so I cannot even get in the car now to drive it at all.
Thanks for any help.

jl80wn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s2 calais
iv got the similar problem in my vyII calais aswell the passenger seat works fine the drivers wont recline and the mirror wont tilt when i select reverse... the seat will move back and forwards but only when i rev the car to about 3k... all the fuses are perfect and so on whats the problem anyone know

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
i stuffed around with mine last night and it turns out the fuses (silver circuit breakers were really hot!!!!) all the time so i assume there is a constant drain somewhere in that circuit god knows what from, it then drained my battery overnight so the car wouldnt start. Then someone told me (? true or not) that as the battery goes flat the non essential electronic stuff drops out to preserve the battery (hence the seats would drop out). So I fully charged the battery and checked again, car started o.k but no seats or mirrors still and a red hot circuit breaker within 30 seconds. This may explain why when you rev the engine it spins up enough charge to bring it back in?
So I rang an auto elec and its booked in in the morning, battery is on charge tonight so it can start and ive removed the circuit breakers so no power windows or seats, the auto elec reckons its just arking out on something and shouldn't be too bad?
He is gonna try and fix my air conditioning vacumn vent switching problem as well which i am stuffed if i can find the leak in that either.

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Just for interest, the auto elec said the drivers seat switch (with the memory settings and stuff) had a fault in it and was constantly on hence draining the battery and shorting the circuit breaker so he just dismantled it and blew the dust etc out of it, it now works fine and no more shorting out.

G. Rodgers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Holden commodore supercharged 3.8 series 2
Did you end up finding out the problem, I have the same problem, fuses are hot as hell

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Did you end up finding out the problem, I have the same problem, fuses are hot as hell
Just for interest, the auto elec said the drivers seat switch (with the memory settings and stuff) had a fault in it and was constantly on hence draining the battery and shorting the circuit breaker so he just dismantled it and blew the dust etc out of it, it now works fine and no more shorting out.
I think they already have told you and since its 9 years ago I doubt he would reply.