Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bottom bolt and nut from rear shock absorber

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
D-Rich, I have a VT Acclaim wagon and the shock absorber (o/s) bottom bolt on mine looks like a fixed stud with a nut and washer that screws off. My son had it off a few weeks ago planning to remove the old springs but could not get the shock off so we put the job off until this month.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
yea but with the cost of NEW trailing arms a lot of shops if stripped it out use nut and bolt

as long as the nut and bolt are strong enough IE not smaller than hole they fit through by only a little i mean
and they were done up tight maybe a dab of loctite even you would never have a problem with it as the shock is still mounted
to the same axis as original just instead of the thread being in the arm its in the nut!~

D-Rich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
D-Rich, I have a VT Acclaim wagon and the shock absorber (o/s) bottom bolt on mine looks like a fixed stud with a nut and washer that screws off. My son had it off a few weeks ago planning to remove the old springs but could not get the shock off so we put the job off until this month.

i haven't seen this before? if you managed to get the nut and washer off and struggled with the shock, try using a decent sized prybar. or as 'acarmody' mentioned earlier in this thread try putting a secondary bottle jack under the trailing arm to bring it in line with the shock absorber. because all the weight of the trailing arm is on the shock..
hope this helps.

madcapmagician

Phatburger fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Berlina 3.8
My VXII berlina sedan has threaded lower control arms on both sides at the rear. They are a non-standard thread so don't bother trying to get a new bolt from bunnings if you happen to stuff the existing one getting it out. Best option is to either to drill out the control arm and fit a standard size high quality and longer bolt then put a washer and nut on - as glenn posted above it is almost certain that someone has done this with the other side. Forget getting replacement control arms - new will set you back over a grand from Hold-on and second hand are just as likely to be as bad as the one you are replacing. Another option is to remove the control arm and take it to a machine shop that does helicoil work and get them to put a standard 16mm or similar helicoil in then source a good quality high-tensile bolt and torque it up to spec. Loctite is NOT a good idea - only from the point of view that if you ever want to undo it again...