Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bottom bolt and nut from rear shock absorber

plasmid2

Reaction score
G'day to all,

Some of you may have read my previous post in regards to raising the back of my car with king springs for variety of reasons.

Anyway I decided to do it today. The last time anyone did anything to my suspension was about 5 years ago when I had it lowered. I have had the car from pretty much new and was completely stock when I bought it.

I noticed that the bolt on the right rear shock absorber was completely different to the one on the left and it had no nut on it!

My aim was to remove this bolt so I could get the hub lower and remove/fit spring. However for the life of my I could not remove the bolt. I presume they have put loctite on it? I have never taken notice of it before. I presume it's been like that for the last five years.

So my question is...

1. Why has someone used a different bolt with no nut on it?
2. If it's been like that for 5 years should I be in a hurry to put the appropriate bolt and nut on it?
3. How will I get it off?

I found a same size nut at home but I cant do it too tight as the thread on the bolt doesn't go all the way. So the nut just catches but spins. If that makes sense.

Cheers in advance.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just get a big socket or ring spanner onto it with a length of pipe or whatever over the spanner or wrench handle for more leverage,then crack it.Id replace both sides with new bolts and nuts.Also dont use cheap brand spanners or sockets and wrenches to try to remove them,these might strip the nut or bolt hex which will make the job a lot more difficult.You can also try heating the nut if you have an oxy handy.If worst comes to worst,just grind the nut off, or even the head of the bolt off, and then just knock it through with a hammer..The nut could even shear off once its turned with enough force,then its the same thing as grinding it off,just knock it through with a hammer and punch or a piece of thin steel rod.Hopefully it will just come loose for you though with a bit of extra leverage.Id also try soaking them overnight in WD40,heaps of it..Cheers.

plasmid2

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Brett_jjj,

I might have another crack it tomorrow. If I get the bolt off can i replace with something similar from say bunnings or something?

Cheers.

D-Rich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
to my knowledge the vt sedans use a nut and bolt to hold the bottom of the shock absorber to the trailing arm, and wagons use just a bolt which screws into a thread in the trailing arm. so according to which one you have you should make both sides the same.

other than what brett_jjj has mentioned about leverage. a rattle gun and impact socket may be able to crack the bolts.

and as far as getting your bolts from bunnings, i personally wouldnt. Go see conventry fasteners or somewhere similar and get the highest grade bolts you can or just geniune holden ones.

hope this helps.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Get the bolt and nut from any bolt shop, they are much better quality and usually much cheaper, plus they can advice you what type of bolt to use, as in the hardness. I believe 10.5 grade steel is very good (?).

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
always do them up with wheels touching the ground (just jacked up)
or they have a bad habit of crossthreading often requiring drilling and the use of a washer and nut and new bolt
OR
a new control arm which they may have fitted from wrong model (sedan wagon for example)

oh and yes wagon and sedan dif as above stated ~!

they are almost NEVER tourque set and means they are usually done up too tight with a rattle gun
so to get a non nut type one you will likley need a rattle gun and if old a 2 hour soak in wd or similar

good luck !~

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah it should be done with something holding the wheel up a bit, so the shocky isn't at full extension. A second jack under the tyre always works well for me.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
from factory there is no nut, there is thread in the trailing arm. if there is a nut and bolt some one has striped the thread either removing or reinstalling the bolt (which can happen easley) and use a nut and bolt to bodgie it up.

plasmid2

Reaction score
My car is a sedan.

So glenn I, are you saying that the other side with the nut is the dodgy one? On this side once I undid the nut I was able to pull the bolt out not screw it out. If that makes sense. So are bolts meant to screw in?

I am happy to leave the bolt in there as I have replaced my spings now. I just used a spring compressor on this side. So if the bolt is meant to be there I am happy to leave it there.

Cheers.

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Nar theyre meant to screw into a thread not nut just a bolt