Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bought a 202 - advice?

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
Last year I bought an efi 202, the plan being to build a hot 6 for my vk project. Long story short I stripped the engine down and honed the bores only to find that one of them is cracked. So the other day I picked up another one, its a blue block thats been painted black. I put it on my engine stand and flipped it over and pulled the sump off, and managed to measure the bores, seems to be 60 thou overbore. Now I was hoping for standard bores. The blue 202 in my vc daily driver is unmolested and standard, I know this for a fact. So I'm wondering whether maybe I should swap the motor I just bought into the vc and rebuild the one thats in it. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Cheers

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Last year I bought an efi 202, the plan being to build a hot 6 for my vk project. Long story short I stripped the engine down and honed the bores only to find that one of them is cracked. So the other day I picked up another one, its a blue block thats been painted black. I put it on my engine stand and flipped it over and pulled the sump off, and managed to measure the bores, seems to be 60 thou overbore. Now I was hoping for standard bores. The blue 202 in my vc daily driver is unmolested and standard, I know this for a fact. So I'm wondering whether maybe I should swap the motor I just bought into the vc and rebuild the one thats in it. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Cheers

I wouldnt spend huge money on the 202.

You really should buy an EFI 202 block but good luck, there is a ported vacume switch that fits intot he DS of the block behind the dizzy, other blocks you will need to drill this out.
Black Carbie 202 heads have ports for the EGR system which would need to be plugged.
12port Blue motor heads will fit hower have an inferior port flow design.

If your interested I have a carbie black motor block, pistons & rods somewhere bored 40thou, from memory bore just needs a hone.

40 thou is a good size, bore wall isnt too thin and slight performance gain over std. You could always get the 60thou block sleeved.

Also quick & easy way to tell size of bore on the top of the pistons you will see STD, 020, 040, 060 or 1, 1.5 etc the 020 etc numbers are imperial the 1.5 etc are metric

cheers
Scott

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldnt spend huge money on the 202.

You really should buy an EFI 202 block but good luck, there is a ported vacume switch that fits intot he DS of the block behind the dizzy, other blocks you will need to drill this out.
Black Carbie 202 heads have ports for the EGR system which would need to be plugged.
12port Blue motor heads will fit hower have an inferior port flow design.

If your interested I have a carbie black motor block, pistons & rods somewhere bored 40thou, from memory bore just needs a hone.

40 thou is a good size, bore wall isnt too thin and slight performance gain over std. You could always get the 60thou block sleeved.

Also quick & easy way to tell size of bore on the top of the pistons you will see STD, 020, 040, 060 or 1, 1.5 etc the 020 etc numbers are imperial the 1.5 etc are metric

cheers
Scott

I'm not planning on running the standard head - I have the efi one which should be fine still, and a blue one i bought at a swap meet that has been worked - not sure which one i'll use but i'll get the bottom end sorted out first.
I don't know anything about that vacuum switch but people are always talking about efi conversions, so it can't be too difficult? I'm also planning on a delco 808 conversion.
I'm thinking maybe the 60 thou over bore should be fine, so long as it doesn't need to go anyfurther.
Where do you live? I wouldn't mind another block, I don't really know where I'd put it but I could work something out. I'm in brisbane
Cheers,
Jakbob

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
top right of my posts
Ride: VK EFI 5L
Trade Rating: (0)

Honestly I have had 60thou blocks I think I might have one kicking around as well with pistons they run hotter and in my experience tend to fail more quickly.

cheers
Scott

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
top right of my posts
Ride: VK EFI 5L
Trade Rating: (0)

Honestly I have had 60thou blocks I think I might have one kicking around as well with pistons they run hotter and in my experience tend to fail more quickly.

cheers
Scott

I hate to think how an 80 thou block would be then. Does 60thou take it out to 208 or is that 80 thou?

kmaybz

Reaction score
either get a new car ,or if you can find a 179HP ,bore To fit 302 pistons.
Only 6 block u can do this to

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI

WTF is that supposed to mean?

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride

What the hell are you talking about? Whats the car got to do with it? I'm talking about rebuilding a motor here. And what advantage would there be in running a 179 block with 302 pistons? Technically it would be illegal to run a 179 in a commodore anyway because its too old. Pre emissions and stuff.

havick vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
the very first motor u were gonna build with the cracked bore...still can u this block and just sleeve that bore

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
the very first motor u were gonna build with the cracked bore...still can u this block and just sleeve that bore

Was going to do that but it would cost $180 just to sleeve the one bore, and if the block is cracked who knows what else might have gone wrong with it? And it cost me $180 for the new motor plus shift kitted auto and all the bolt on parts so in that respect i got a better deal.
I think I'll stick to the 60thou block, by the time I finish it and get the car finished I'll be off my P's so it doesn't have to last to long, just long enough for me to get an ls2 into my VC :yeah: