Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bought a car. getting screwed. any advice?

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
about 3 months back i bought a car for a bargain price (it wasn't running). because i knew the seller, they weren't in a hurry to get rid of it after i handed over cash, so they organized the repairs and i paid for them, while i saved more money to go pick it up.
now i'm ready to go get it, they've decided to give me my money back and sell the now running car to someone else for closer to its worth.

and here's the kicker. the seller is my ex, the mother of my kids. and i have a strong feeling that if i take her to court for the car, she'll turn it into a custody battle (kids are 2 and nearly 5).
i don't wanna lose my kids (obviously) and i really don't wanna fight with her anymore. she's also told me if i take her to court for the car, she'll have me charged with theft of an engine she gave me 1 1/2 years before she left me.

should i just accept the meagre refund ($1350 all up) or should i fight for what is mine and risk losing my kids??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Take the money and go find something else. It isn't worth the hassle.

Reaper

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
As above, take the money. Not worth the head****!

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
We need more specs on the kids and the car before we can make an acurate decision.

In seriousness, money comes and money goes, dont worry about it. You may lose some money or an oppurtunity to buy something at a bargain, its all well and good but its certainly not worth losing anyone over.
Dont take this the wrong way but, Im actually quite suprised someone has to weigh up the two, and then be unsure and have to ask a forum, its your kids for christsake, do you not love them?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
even if you took it court, you wouldnt win.
you never had a written contract and you never took posession of the car.
basically you just put a deposit on a car and it was refunded - nothing you can go to court over.
an self respecting lawyer will tell you the same thing.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
asking on here was less about getting someone elses opinion and more about making sense of the jumble in my head. probably shouldn't have posted it, but seeing it in writing (even before all the replies) allowed me to regain my focus regarding the situation and the people involved

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
just let her be mate not worth the hassle if she is a **** head let her be.if she is like this your kids will probably want to move in with you later in life anyways so its not worth thge ****

the collector

the collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
rodeo dual cab
ripped

take the cash and put a hold on your revenge for a while
cheers

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
Take the cash, but dont cut the woman loose, she is still the mother of your children and they are going to want to be a part of each others life's in some way.

Its a lesson in life, you win some you loose some. Personally you have one. You have your kids, you money and who knows, maybe you have helped out someone.