Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bought a spray gun and compressor. need help before i start!

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
ok so hence the tile. just bought a spray gun and compressor as i have a tailgate and guard i wanna have a crack at painting. im not retarted and asking how to use the thing but jus about the psi set up and all that jazz? the guy at the shop said be wary of the pressure when your painting etc etc anyone know roughly what pressure to use is and any pointers of things to remember before i start?

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
the pressure is dependant on the thinner to paint mix you are using. best bet is to practice and have a fiddle before laying down paint

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
depends on the type of gun but 30-40 psi is a good start

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
you will soon pick it up with practice (on an old panel) get the fan spread right then too much pressure it will dry spray, too little and it will not atomise the paint enough, you want to listen for a sweet hiss sound, once you wind it up and down a little you will know what I mean.

FYI if you have your pressure reg set at the compressor it may mean little to gauge what is coming out the gun, the gun should have its own fine adjustment for pressure.
As a starter you will find most paint tin instructions have a desired pressure to set upto, if in doubt consult the sales person or manufacture of the paint.

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
depends on what KIND of paint it is, if its COB then id be running the gun at 26psi for base and 30psi for clear.

Make sure you do at least a 50% overlap or else you will get train tracks, watch how the base and clear lands to see what you need to adjust on the gun (i.e fan width etc)

Go a test panel first id say.

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
thanks heaps guys yeh im gonna take my tailgate thats on the car now off and have a fiddle with it. i bought a new one the other day cause some ass wipe put a dent in it and creased all the lines so theres no way of just beating it out.

and ari its metallic black...yes im thinking the same thing hahahaha. ill put some pics up n show youse how i go!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Im sure youtube or a forum somewhere would have a video tutorial or two, google is your friend.
My local library used to even have a video for loan.