Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bought a Ve, am I crazy?

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I've just purchased a 5/07 calais with a G8 front end with the v6, 190km on the car.

I know these engines can be problematic at times but it comes with full history.

Work that has been performed by Springwood Holden in the last 3 months includes a new ecu, full timing chain kit including cam phases and sensors, new water pump and thermostat and a full service.

No start up rattles or the usual tick sound on idle like most alloytec motors do.

Everything that usually fails on these things has been replaced so I'm thinking it's a good car but time will tell.

Am I crazy getting this car?
Share your thoughts please on anything else I should keep an eye out for as I know fa about anything vz upwards.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's the car you want so what does the opinion of an internet forum matter?

As you said the major failure points have been addressed so I can't see why anything would be a problem.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just do oil and filter every 7500kms with full synthetic oil, new trans and diff oil if you don't know when they were done last.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
It's for the wife, these cars ain't my cup of tea.
I've owned commos from all generations just not 4th gen. from what I've read over the years people have a love hate relationship with the alloytec.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance alloytecs aren't all ticking time bombs haha.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
As long as they have a good service history and you don't miss services I don't see why you would have issues. Alloytecs don't handle neglect.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Just clicked up 182500 on my 12/09 v6 and apart from alternator at 150k just normal servicing cost(myself) had since 60k , as ricey says 7500km oil/filter changes.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
So it has been a reliable ex-cop? :rolleyes:
nah its a VE BERLINA LPG was ex holden car then 1 private owner in Vic. Had just normal 15000km services but 7500 since and no sludge timing chain issues

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I've got 255k kms on my 2006 Alloytec. The only bad experience of them is what I've read on the internet. In the real world it's been fantastic. I bought it five years ago with 190k kms on it and haven't spent a cent other than good oil. Not only isn't it a problem motor, it actually feels bulletproof. I know all that can change with any motor any time, but yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Nah they're pretty good OP, don't worry. My experience has been there is always something that needs attention but they aren't expensive cars to fix.