Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bought a vt few problems. Whats covered by a roadworthy

snozz

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Bought a 1998 vt Calais last week. Car came with a roadworthy.
Has a few problems.
  1. There is a piece of the rear windscreen seal about 20mm long missing (fogs it up quite badly)
  2. The car makes a high pitch whistling when the rear demister is on. Anybody know why?.
  3. the drivers door window rubber(it's vertical one on the pillar side of the door) is all bunched up (is it hard to pull back down into door?)
  4. the driver door only goes down when it feels like it, but goes up fine every time.
  5. rear passenger door window works from switch in door but not from the switch in the front centre switch
  6. the seats move back and forth from the tracks or something (how much play is not roadworthy)

Basically what should be covered by the roadworthy. Just sussing it out before i call the mechanic

thanks for any help. If any thing i've written doesn't make sense let me know and ill elaborate

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Well most of what you said is quite annoying... but doesnt make the car unroadworthy. With the exception of the seats moving. That should be covered. Pretty sure you'll be stuck with the rest yourself id say. Did you know all this before you bought it? Or did you buy it sight unseen? Hope you didnt pay much for it...

snozz

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ive got the receipt for the roady and it says slight movement in seats but road worthy. I'm just interested to know how it's measured Cause it's annoying. My old man and my girlfriend don't car but it pisses me off.

I thought that it would have to be sealed for a roady. Fogs up and takes good 10-15 mins to defog with defogger on

And windows that don't wind down could be dangerous after an accident

i was thinking the whistling and the windows not working could be linked to just electrical issues?

i paid 7500 with roady which included new tyres, bonnet gas struts, lower control arm to caster rod, engine mounts, strut bar to 'K' frame bush kit. Came to a total of 1600. plus he had his mate who is an auto elec re wire the rear door (which stopped working the next day), so that should be his issue.

p.s the cars paint is clean as, **** all marks. It also has a sunroof. 7500 about right???

did'nt know bout the rear seal, defogger whistle, or driver window.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
mate all depends on the mech you take it to really on how thorough they are in the check.
Most will prob let it go, some might pull you up for the window.
Anyway just did it for a check and they can let you know exactly.
For a 20-30 dollar check they can say exactly what it needs or doesnt then for you to replace it if you dont need to. Once they inspect it and if it fails you should be able to go fix it and take it back and clear it without paying again.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
ive got the receipt for the roady and it says slight movement in seats but road worthy. I'm just interested to know how it's measured Cause it's annoying. My old man and my girlfriend don't car but it pisses me off.

I thought that it would have to be sealed for a roady. Fogs up and takes good 10-15 mins to defog with defogger on

And windows that don't wind down could be dangerous after an accident

i was thinking the whistling and the windows not working could be linked to just electrical issues?

i paid 7500 with roady which included new tyres, bonnet gas struts, lower control arm to caster rod, engine mounts, strut bar to 'K' frame bush kit. Came to a total of 1600. plus he had his mate who is an auto elec re wire the rear door (which stopped working the next day), so that should be his issue.

p.s the cars paint is clean as, **** all marks. It also has a sunroof. 7500 about right???

did'nt know bout the rear seal, defogger whistle, or driver window.
In the 10 years i have owned cars
Never did they even check these same issues...Maybe only movement in seat.....How much movement are you talking about

bhopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac supercharged 6,vp bt1 5.0,vyss lshulk
hey there well as the guys say not much you can do with the roady as the things mentioned are really for roadworthiness, now with the windows not working either it could be a broken wire in the door loom, the part with the rubber boot around it when the wear somtimes the wire can break or get caught in the door when closed with the switch in the centre console it could have dry terminals in there and not contacting easy to fix and with the front window it could be same thing dry terminals,faulty bcm for the auto down function if it goes up fine it not the winow motor ,either switch or bcm cheap fix for that is to bypass the bcm auto down function so it just runs of the switch . with the rear door i would be looking on ebay for a master switch and see how you go can pick them up cheap or try pick apart for cheap one need anything else you can send me an email will try and help you out.