Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boxing

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Any boxing fans out there?
I'm trawling through youtube looking back at the 80's and 90's wondering what the hell happened to the fight game? Check out the list of great fighters of that era: Mike Tyson, The Spink brothers, Thomas Herns, Larry Holms, Oliver McCall, Buster Douglas, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Lenard, Frank Bruno, Lennox Lewis, Tony Tucker, Mohammed Ali, Jessie Ferguson, Shannon Briggs, Evander Holyfield, George Foreman, James bonecrusher Smith, Francois Botha, Andrew Golota, Henry Akinwande, Ray Mercer, Tommy Morrison, Donovan razor Ruddick.....
The list could just keep going. And you know that some of these guys i have listed that didn't make it big would have absolute super stars in todays sorry boxing enviroment.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
with a lot of fighters , it came down to their promoters , I always thought that Mohammed Ali was an average fighter , but he had the complete package, charm charisma , and was a handsome man as well . People like Don King basically raped and pillaged a number of up and comers , having done some boxing myself back in South Africa when I was in the Navy , in the light - middle weight division , it never entered my mind to do it professionally . But I do think the boxers of the 70-80's and 90's were of a different breed , they used to root, shoot , drive a truck , train like titans , yank on a pair of baggy shorts and knock seven shades of green out each other . Ah the good old days .

VRtoVStoVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ruiz is the perfect specimen of boxing, he'll be the heavyweight champion for decades to come - as dominant as the Klitschko brothers were.

haha, it really just goes to show how **** "AJ" is.

SimeonCervantes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
I love that era but the welterweight focus with Manny and the others were my favourites. Of course, they were on the smaller side of the boxing world but there was nothing better than seeing those fit boxers beating the hell out of each other. WIth heavyweights, if there was a big punch, you can expect a knockout but slugfests were not really popular there because one punch KOs were the norm. I hope that more people can appreciate the lower weight classes because they are really fun slugfests that should be watched by every fan.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
MMA seems to be the beat down sport these days and boxing seems to be running in the background as such.....You also hear a few boxers seem to jump ship over to MMA or maybe they train the MMA people in that art form.....

lispodtsew

Reaction score
Website
blackjack77australia.com
Members Ride
VE Berlina
On the one hand, I really like boxing - it's a real spectacular sport. There is a lot of passion and fire in it. But when I think about the huge number of people who wanted to build a career in boxing, but could not do it because of injuries, my eyes fill with tears.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
On the one hand, I really like boxing - it's a real spectacular sport. There is a lot of passion and fire in it. But when I think about the huge number of people who wanted to build a career in boxing, but could not do it because of injuries, my eyes fill with tears.
I wish I had carried on going to boxing lessons as a kid. I think my mum stopped my dad who was a boxer from taking me, believing I would get hurt. My dad used to take me to the local fight nights and I remember thinking I can’t wait to get into a ring for my first fight.
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately I didn’t get to do that. But sadly I’ve been involved in lots of fights outside of a boxing ring, usually against bullies.
My boxing is now restricted to my garage where I work out on my Boxing Bob Dummy and punchbag:)

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I and other Kiwis have had our eyes on a new brown diamond south Aucklander heavyweight to hang our hopes on. Inspired fan of David Tua, switch hitting Hemi "The Heat" Ahio has a high work rate is very fast and hits hard. Keeps moving forward, loves working on the inside. Those uppercuts! He took posession of the WBC Middle East Heavyweight belt a couple of days ago.

August 2019, Fast & Furious 1st round knockout (forward to 2:56, fighters introduction in ring).
https://fb.watch/8Ijh4tzUtV/

March 2021 "The size of the fight in the dog" - 6' 104kg Ahio took almost the full 8 rounds punching uphill all the way against a 7' 148kg dirty brawler (note the 2nd round right elbow from Long at 5:07).

October 2021 WBC Middle East Heavyweight Championship Title Fight (this weekend's belt, KO #13)
https://fb.watch/8IkiVBO4by/

Pre-fight 14 minute Hemi Ahio interview 16/10/21

31 year-old Hemi is now 18-0 with 13 KOs

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I and other Kiwis have had our eyes on a new brown diamond south Aucklander heavyweight to hang our hopes on. Inspired fan of David Tua, switch hitting Hemi "The Heat" Ahio has a high work rate is very fast and hits hard. Keeps moving forward, loves working on the inside. Those uppercuts! He took posession of the WBC Middle East Heavyweight belt a couple of days ago.

August 2019, Fast & Furious 1st round knockout (forward to 2:56, fighters introduction in ring).
https://fb.watch/8Ijh4tzUtV/

March 2021 "The size of the fight in the dog" - 6' 104kg Ahio took almost the full 8 rounds punching uphill all the way against a 7' 148kg dirty brawler (note the 2nd round right elbow from Long at 5:07).

October 2021 WBC Middle East Heavyweight Championship Title Fight (this weekend's belt, KO #13)
https://fb.watch/8IkiVBO4by/

Pre-fight 14 minute Hemi Ahio interview 16/10/21

31 year-old Hemi is now 18-0 with 13 KOs
One boxer, a true bread and butter fighter. The other boxer, a fighter who clearly eats bread and butter:)
In all seriousness, I think these bouts are demeaning to the sport. It’s clear that Young is only just capable of lugging his own body around the ring let alone ever being able to perform an Ali shuffle.
He should seriously think about retirement and consider an alternative way of putting food on the family table, before he dies from exhaustion or a heart attack in the ring. Killing yourself in this fashion may be an heroic way to go out in the eyes of some, but you try telling that to the staring faces with the empty plates.
Kudos to Ahio though, a good solid and balanced boxer. He should have used this bout as more of a training session once he realised Young was not going to get near him with speed. He could have made Young come forward more earlier on in the bout, where then he could have practiced his footwork and combinations. Just my take.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
The farcebook videos are better for seeing Ahio against a couple of supposedly more equal opponents. They are much more energetic, better adrenalin buzz to watch. They just don't last as long as the giant which was the best Ahio vid on utube for showing his ability to cope with an unorthodox street-fighter bully type, maintain self discipline, avoid being suckered, and going some distance.

Muhammad Ali would often win a fight before it got to the ring. He would play the media and headf#<K his opponent so that he could push some buttons and psyche them with more words when the bell went. Sting like a bee. Make 'em mad. Stop 'em thinking.

I remember Sugar Ray Robinson. "Pound for pound the best boxer in the world." He fought across four weights.

Sets targets on Jake Lamotta's ears and chin in 1951 @ 1:45 (their 6th fight in 9 years).

Taps Rocky Graziano's mouthgaurd out in 1952 @ 4:32
followed by the 1957 punch that upset the money men, knocking out Gene Fullmer in taking his middleweight belt. Two years later the NBA vacated Robinson's title and Fullmer fought Carmen Basilio for it. The 1960 drawn title fight between Fullmer and Robinson was a fine example of a prepaid judging result.

More Sugar Ray Robinson footage.

Last edited: