Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Braided oil line vt-vx

Boof_94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive
iv been hunting high and low through the threads but haven’t had any luck in trying to find anyone who’s done it, I’m in the process of upgrading all my lines to stainless steal braided lines. Now just wondering is there push lock an-6/8 fitting that are push lock onto the power steering pump up on a ecotec , vt/vx steering cooling line I’d like to eventually manage to do all my lines. So guess my question is has anyone managed to do all there lines?

Cheers in advance.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No. You will need to put a fitting into the back of the PS pump to then use AN style fittings.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Don’t use A/N lines where you don’t need to. The more hardline the better for both reliability, safety and performance - especially where high pressures and flammable liquids are concerned.

Boof_94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive
Don’t use A/N lines where you don’t need to. The more hardline the better for both reliability, safety and performance - especially where high pressures and flammable liquids are concerned.

So what is your opinion on A/n lines like braided stainless steal lines?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So what is your opinion on A/n lines like braided stainless steal lines?
They're still rubber underneath. I know many shops hate the stuff because you can't see the condition of the rubber underneath the braided sheath.

If you do it, just don't purchase the cheap stuff. Buy a good brand from a reputable supplier. Speedflow is supposed to be the go.

Boof_94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt executive
They're still rubber underneath. I know many shops hate the stuff because you can't see the condition of the rubber underneath the braided sheath.

If you do it, just don't purchase the cheap stuff. Buy a good brand from a reputable supplier. Speedflow is supposed to be the go.

Yeah mine arrived yesterday and I fitted today as well as my new powersteering resavore witch is aluminium and catch can tell you what putting the fittings on the line were a pin in my neck

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think standard AN style fittings are pressure rated for PS systems, best talk to your local supplier before deciding what to get. The good steel braid style hose is teflon lined instead of just rubber.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There's no benefit to replacing the stock lines unless they're split or not replaceable. The reason that people use them is to relocate or run extra components, like oil coolers, or a power steering pump relocation (in which case as many of the hard lines as possible are still retained), or they make the reinstallation of something like a turbo easier (in which case there are usually kits). Braided lines will still fail under the right circumstances (and I've seen pictures of melted ones). TBH unless you were simplifying the circuit somehow there's zero benefit to it, possibly downsides because of the amount of flex braided lines can still have at long lengths.

The braided steel brake lines are fine because they control flex and stop the line bursting out in a system which regularly sees sudden changes, but you're only replacing 1ft sections of it, not replacing hard line and running it along the entire car.

I don't think standard AN style fittings are pressure rated for PS systems, best talk to your local supplier before deciding what to get. The good steel braid style hose is teflon lined instead of just rubber.

I believe the genuine brand fittings will be rated for stuff like this (although kits for oil feed fittings will still give you steel AN fittings because duh), but the hose changes on application like with regular hoses for heat and pressure or fluid. The teflon stuff is typically used where it's really hot, not that you can't use it for anything else.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The only reason to replace for 99% of non race car applications is for looks or custom hoses are required.

Pressure depends on the type of hose and fitting, I'm not talking about the AN side of the fitting but rather how the hose is connected to the AN fitting. You can get AN fittings that have the hose crimped on just like the OEM high pressure PS hose which would be fine for the PS system push lock certainly certainly won't be.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 l67 commodore berlina
Yeah mine arrived yesterday and I fitted today as well as my new powersteering resavore witch is aluminium and catch can tell you what putting the fittings on the line were a pin in my neck
what did it cost u 2 do the whole car?