Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake and Clutch Fluid Replacement

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Has anyone attempted an in house Fluid change on the above? My brake fluid is pretty shocking and needs replacement. I dare say it is as simple as drain, replace and bleed?

Any suggestions?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
A one-man brake bleeder kit is helpful, but no way as good as an assistant.

Syringe most of the brake fluid out, top up with new stuff, and keep pumping the brake pedal (and topping up with new fluid) until new fluid comes out of all four corners. Never let the reservoir go close to dry of you will let air in the line which can ruin your day when driving.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That is brake, do you mean same for clutch? 'Cause I have no idea about clutches, all my car have been autos unfortunately :(

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok I just check my Gregory's manual. Yep same procedure. Syringe all old fluid, top up with new fluid, pump pedal a few times, open bleeder valve, keep pumping until only new fluid comes out and no air bubbles, close valve.

With both brake and clutch ensure fluid level never drops below 75% or air may be introduced into the system.

EDIT: Sorry can't help you with a VZ, regarding location.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
If you have an air compressor a vacuum bleeder is the only way to go, around $100. One man bleeders are rubbish.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
When pumping the pedal the nipple needs to be open, when the pedal is coming back up it needs to be closed or it may draw air back on. (Hence being a two man job). ie open nipple push pedal to floor close allow pedal back up.

Also start from left rear then right rear then left front then right front.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Do i need to bleed the brakes if i take less then 75% out of the brake resivior? Anyone know the capacity of the resivoir, ie how much fluid i would need for a complete change?