Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake caliper paint peeling

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Humphrey, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Humphrey

Humphrey New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 2016 Redline...its here, and I love it !
    I have a VF2 Redline and I’ve noticed the front right brake caliper has a portion of the clear coat that has peeled away....I asked when I got a service today and was told Holden won’t warrant this problem. I know it’s only a cosmetic thing but it pisses me off.
    Anyone else have this problem? Or think it should be covered by warranty?
    upload_2018-9-4_20-17-3.jpeg

2. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    I haven't had the problem and no it shouldn't be covered by warranty....They have no control on how owners treat them...ie what gets on them

losh1971 likes this.
  3. Humphrey

Humphrey New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 2016 Redline...its here, and I love it !
    Never had anything on them though. They all get washed the same, and that’s the only one that has a problem.

4. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    If it’s supplied by Holden painted, I’d expect the paint to be durable and last longer than the warranty period of the vehicle. If it fails within the warranty period, I’d expect Holden to resolve it via component replacement or repair.

After all, we don’t expect the body clear coat to delaminates during the 3, 5 or 7 years warranty so I’d say delamination of the caliper top coat is likely a manufacturing paint fault that should be fixed under warranty.

Kia seems to handle paint issues rather well for their yellow cars o_O

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Noeleter and Ron Burgundy like this.
  5. Gmac 2.0

Gmac 2.0 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
    This happened to both my red Brembos on my VE2 at about 60k and around 5 years. I never used any wheel or brake cleaner, never had a fluid leak and washed them weekly with car shampoo. Given mine was out of warranty I never pursued it further. If it happened to the vf2 now, I'd be treating it like body paint and talking to Customer Care.
    Australian Consumer Law says "a product must be fit for purpose". So if they paint the brakes and the paint flakes off, then the paint was not fit for the purpose. Best of Luck and please keep us informed.

Pablito and Humphrey like this.
  6. gucci

gucci New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    I had exactly the same thing happen to 3 of 4 calibers on my VFII Redline. Raised it at the last service (30 k service) with Phoniex Holden in the northern suburbs of Perth. No arguments whatsoever. Three new calibers ordered and fitted a week later. Like others in this post I have only ever used quality products (Gyeon wheel cleaner) and no pressure cleaners on wheels or brakes. I posted photos in another post on here. It think they're in a faults post. If your car is under warranty, I'd stand my ground. It's up to them to prove you've misused or mishandled the calibers.

7. gucci

gucci New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    Found my previous post .....

8. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

So how can you prove you didn't? Have endless hours of footage, showing the calipers with general driving and with you cleaning the wheels....

9. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    Innocent until proven guilty...
    Something is fucked if you have to prove you are not lying...
    Why is the assumption that you are not telling the truth...
    Hate ******* car industry...

10. dans_vz

dans_vz Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual & 05 VZ Calais daily
    I hate the typical Holden dealership attitude of 'it wont be covered under warranty'

11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    As mantioned by @gucci, it would be up to the dealer to prove you caused the damage. And as long as you followed Holdens general guidlines on how to wash your vehicle as defined in the owners handbook, you haven't done anything wrong and it can only be a paint issue so should be covered by warranty/ACL.

Anything else being expressed by the dealer is likely just hogwash and may cause them more trouble down the track. A dealer repeatedly denying an obvious warrantable item may have the unintended consequence that this minor issue could then become classified as a major fault under ACL... Now that would be a laugh, a ducebag dealer continually denies replacing the calipers only to turn this minor fault into a major fault where the owner can the reject the vehicle and asks for a full purchase price refund... Gota love ACL.

12. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

This is where they will try it on you....Might claim you used the wrong wash, or didn't rince them off properly...Something stupid like this.

And just in case you think, I'm not a big fan of dealers, or used car salesman for that matter....I'm fully aware, some love to make a pathetic excuse to prevent some claim going ahead

13. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    The main reason the car industry assume you are lying is, we are constantly having people try and pull a swifty, trying to claim for something that was their fault.....

Whilst I'm not insinuating anyone on here does those sorts of things, it's an unfortunate occurance that happens daily in the industry

14. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yep, they'll try anything.

But if one use the same cleaning product on the vehicle body and it has delaminated the caliper clear coat while leaving the body top coat untouched, that would indicate to all laypersons that there is something wrong with the caliper paint which would be the cause of the problem. In such instances the dealers wouldn't have much to argue against it being a defect other than a simple bluff on people not vehicle minded.

The only 'out' for the dealer would be to have a statement in their owners manual warning owners about the fragile nature of the caliper top coat and the extra caution needed as compaired to washing the vehicle body...

Now i haven't read the owners manual in detail but I don't remembr such a warning (which really wouldn't look good for Holden if their was one).

Yeah lying customers do exist. I even saw one customer at Bunnings trying to return hand cut 1m 90x45's without a receipt. Obviously he was challenged about this as Bunings 1m lengths are machine cut and sell for higher $/m than the 2.7 and longer length - Guessed he was trying to make a few $ and thought he was being clever and creative though he was just being a thief. I waited my turn and Bunings treated me with respect when i returned the stuff I over purchased (yes i had a receipt).

However, treating one customer badly because some other customer was an asshat is not the correct way for any business to handle their customer relationships. Bunnings knows better but it seems new and used vehicle dealers still have a lot to learn.

426Cuda likes this.
  15. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    ROTFLMAO, that someone would be that silly to try and return a 1m piece of 90 x 45. Heck it's only about $3 a metre if that. I didn't think Bunnings would even sell a 1m length of 90 x 45....

16. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    They will sell you whatever lengths you like, you just pay for the cuts.

17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah but wouldn't they want you to buy the whole length? Surely they would charge you for a 2.4?

18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Just looked and yepp Bunnings sell a 0.9m. Didn't know that. Home Hardwares shortest is a 2.4.

19. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    With dealerships, especially, they are very suspicious of everyone....As everyone knows, they are like insurance companies....Look for any out possible, to avoid coughing up....Not that I'm in agreeance, but that's the nature of the game

20. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    And that is why consumers need to educate themselves, understand their rights, the vendor's obligations and enforce them.