Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake caliper paint peeling

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...It's up to them to prove you've misused or mishandled the calibers.
So how can you prove you didn't? Have endless hours of footage, showing the calipers with general driving and with you cleaning the wheels....
As mantioned by @gucci, it would be up to the dealer to prove you caused the damage. And as long as you followed Holdens general guidlines on how to wash your vehicle as defined in the owners handbook, you haven't done anything wrong and it can only be a paint issue so should be covered by warranty/ACL.

Anything else being expressed by the dealer is likely just hogwash and may cause them more trouble down the track. A dealer repeatedly denying an obvious warrantable item may have the unintended consequence that this minor issue could then become classified as a major fault under ACL... Now that would be a laugh, a ducebag dealer continually denies replacing the calipers only to turn this minor fault into a major fault where the owner can the reject the vehicle and asks for a full purchase price refund... Gota love ACL.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As mantioned by @gucci, it would be up to the dealer to prove you caused the damage. And as long as you followed Holdens general guidlines on how to wash your vehicle as defined in the owners handbook, you haven't done anything wrong and it can only be a paint issue so should be covered by warranty/ACL.

This is where they will try it on you....Might claim you used the wrong wash, or didn't rince them off properly...Something stupid like this.

And just in case you think, I'm not a big fan of dealers, or used car salesman for that matter....I'm fully aware, some love to make a pathetic excuse to prevent some claim going ahead

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Innocent until proven guilty...
Something is fucked if you have to prove you are not lying...
Why is the assumption that you are not telling the truth...
Hate ******* car industry...

The main reason the car industry assume you are lying is, we are constantly having people try and pull a swifty, trying to claim for something that was their fault.....

Whilst I'm not insinuating anyone on here does those sorts of things, it's an unfortunate occurance that happens daily in the industry

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This is where they will try it on you....Might claim you used the wrong wash, or didn't rince them off properly...Something stupid like this.

And just in case you think, I'm not a big fan of dealers, or used car salesman for that matter....I'm fully aware, some love to make a pathetic excuse to prevent some claim going ahead
Yep, they'll try anything.

But if one use the same cleaning product on the vehicle body and it has delaminated the caliper clear coat while leaving the body top coat untouched, that would indicate to all laypersons that there is something wrong with the caliper paint which would be the cause of the problem. In such instances the dealers wouldn't have much to argue against it being a defect other than a simple bluff on people not vehicle minded.

The only 'out' for the dealer would be to have a statement in their owners manual warning owners about the fragile nature of the caliper top coat and the extra caution needed as compaired to washing the vehicle body...

Now i haven't read the owners manual in detail but I don't remembr such a warning (which really wouldn't look good for Holden if their was one).

The main reason the car industry assume you are lying is, we are constantly having people try and pull a swifty, trying to claim for something that was their fault.....

Whilst I'm not insinuating anyone on here does those sorts of things, it's an unfortunate occurance that happens daily in the industry
Yeah lying customers do exist. I even saw one customer at Bunnings trying to return hand cut 1m 90x45's without a receipt. Obviously he was challenged about this as Bunings 1m lengths are machine cut and sell for higher $/m than the 2.7 and longer length - Guessed he was trying to make a few $ and thought he was being clever and creative though he was just being a thief. I waited my turn and Bunings treated me with respect when i returned the stuff I over purchased (yes i had a receipt).

However, treating one customer badly because some other customer was an asshat is not the correct way for any business to handle their customer relationships. Bunnings knows better but it seems new and used vehicle dealers still have a lot to learn.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
ROTFLMAO, that someone would be that silly to try and return a 1m piece of 90 x 45. Heck it's only about $3 a metre if that. I didn't think Bunnings would even sell a 1m length of 90 x 45....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah but wouldn't they want you to buy the whole length? Surely they would charge you for a 2.4?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just looked and yepp Bunnings sell a 0.9m. Didn't know that. Home Hardwares shortest is a 2.4.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
However, treating one customer badly because some other customer was an asshat is not the correct way for any business to handle their customer relationships. Bunnings knows better but it seems new and used vehicle dealers still have a lot to learn.

With dealerships, especially, they are very suspicious of everyone....As everyone knows, they are like insurance companies....Look for any out possible, to avoid coughing up....Not that I'm in agreeance, but that's the nature of the game

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
With dealerships, especially, they are very suspicious of everyone....As everyone knows, they are like insurance companies....Look for any out possible, to avoid coughing up....Not that I'm in agreeance, but that's the nature of the game

And that is why consumers need to educate themselves, understand their rights, the vendor's obligations and enforce them.