Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake caliper paint peeling

Humphrey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 2016 Redline...its here, and I love it !
I have a VF2 Redline and I’ve noticed the front right brake caliper has a portion of the clear coat that has peeled away....I asked when I got a service today and was told Holden won’t warrant this problem. I know it’s only a cosmetic thing but it pisses me off.
Anyone else have this problem? Or think it should be covered by warranty?
upload_2018-9-4_20-17-3.jpeg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I haven't had the problem and no it shouldn't be covered by warranty....They have no control on how owners treat them...ie what gets on them

Humphrey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 2016 Redline...its here, and I love it !
Never had anything on them though. They all get washed the same, and that’s the only one that has a problem.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it’s supplied by Holden painted, I’d expect the paint to be durable and last longer than the warranty period of the vehicle. If it fails within the warranty period, I’d expect Holden to resolve it via component replacement or repair.

After all, we don’t expect the body clear coat to delaminates during the 3, 5 or 7 years warranty so I’d say delamination of the caliper top coat is likely a manufacturing paint fault that should be fixed under warranty.

Kia seems to handle paint issues rather well for their yellow cars o_O

Last edited:

Gmac 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
This happened to both my red Brembos on my VE2 at about 60k and around 5 years. I never used any wheel or brake cleaner, never had a fluid leak and washed them weekly with car shampoo. Given mine was out of warranty I never pursued it further. If it happened to the vf2 now, I'd be treating it like body paint and talking to Customer Care.
Australian Consumer Law says "a product must be fit for purpose". So if they paint the brakes and the paint flakes off, then the paint was not fit for the purpose. Best of Luck and please keep us informed.

I have a VF2 Redline and I’ve noticed the front right brake caliper has a portion of the clear coat that has peeled away....I asked when I got a service today and was told Holden won’t warrant this problem. I know it’s only a cosmetic thing but it pisses me off.
Anyone else have this problem? Or think it should be covered by warranty?
View attachment 201165

gucci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I had exactly the same thing happen to 3 of 4 calibers on my VFII Redline. Raised it at the last service (30 k service) with Phoniex Holden in the northern suburbs of Perth. No arguments whatsoever. Three new calibers ordered and fitted a week later. Like others in this post I have only ever used quality products (Gyeon wheel cleaner) and no pressure cleaners on wheels or brakes. I posted photos in another post on here. It think they're in a faults post. If your car is under warranty, I'd stand my ground. It's up to them to prove you've misused or mishandled the calibers.

gucci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
. It's up to them to prove you've misused or mishandled the calibers.

So how can you prove you didn't? Have endless hours of footage, showing the calipers with general driving and with you cleaning the wheels....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So how can you prove you didn't? Have endless hours of footage, showing the calipers with general driving and with you cleaning the wheels....
Innocent until proven guilty...
Something is fucked if you have to prove you are not lying...
Why is the assumption that you are not telling the truth...
Hate ******* car industry...

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
I hate the typical Holden dealership attitude of 'it wont be covered under warranty'