Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake calliper front vs back bleeder nipples

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I am rebuilding a front left brake calliper for my VS sedan with new rubber rings and slide pin boots and I couldn't get the bleeder nipple out without using a pair of vice grips and its now stripped and unusable, luckily I have a spare one that screws in but its longer than the original with more thread so I was thinking it was for a rear calliper, is there a difference for the bleeder nipples for front vs back?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The overall length isn't that important, as long as it correctly seals is all that really matters. Of course having the correct unit is more ideal but sounds like the one you've got there will do the job until you find the correct one.

Also on another point, how can you strip a steel thread that's located within an Ally thread. This makes no sense and I would be very wary of the ally thread in the caliper and that it is serviceable enough to hold the pressure that's applied with braking.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Nipples are the same all round, sizes might depend on genuine vs aftermarket. Main thing is the chamfer and outlet (tip below the thread) are the same spec, length only matters that it gets enough bite

Don't sweat it, I've stripped the hex of many bleed nipples over the years :)

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Also on another point, how can you strip a steel thread that's located within an Ally thread. This makes no sense and I would be very wary of the ally thread in the caliper and that it is serviceable enough to hold the pressure that's applied with braking.

It wasnt the thread VS-Lover just the head of the nipple, here is the two I have and the longer one fits and screws in so I'll use the longer one

Attachments

• bleeder2.jpg
    bleeder2.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 147

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Always use tight fitting ring spanners on nipples and not open end spanners as that's the result you'll generally get from open ended spanners trying to crack open very ceased threads. Always use a Ringy to initially crack open a bleeder nipple.

BTW those two nipples you've shown are fine to be replaced with the longer variant.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
There are nipples that can never be saved by ring or socket, depends how long it's been in. The caliper corrodes them in tight. Looks like you've got a PBR universal, works across the range including C5 and C6, it'll be fine

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Nipples are the same all round, sizes might depend on genuine vs aftermarket. Main thing is the chamfer and outlet (tip below the thread) are the same spec, length only matters that it gets enough bite

Don't sweat it, I've stripped the hex of many bleed nipples over the years :)

Incorrect. In Holden this advice is true apart from HSV but in the world of cars that is dangerous advice.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There are nipples that can never be saved by ring or socket, depends how long it's been in. The caliper corrodes them in tight. Looks like you've got a PBR universal, works across the range including C5 and C6, it'll be fine

I've never had a nipple I can't crack. I guess good tools do wonders.

Flare nuts though I think I've had two in my 12 years in the trade that wouldn't play ball.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Incorrect. In Holden this advice is true apart from HSV but in the world of cars that is dangerous advice.

Are you back on the meth pipe dude? Or just miss me? The OP asked about a VS commodore in a sub forum called VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997) with the title 'Brake calliper front vs back bleeder nipples'. Why would my advice be about anything else?

You talk a lot of sh!t for a guy with no ride or build thread but at least you have better tools than the rest of us

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Are you back on the meth pipe dude? Or just miss me? The OP asked about a VS commodore in a sub forum called VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997) with the title 'Brake calliper front vs back bleeder nipples'. Why would my advice be about anything else?

You talk a lot of sh!t for a guy with no ride or build thread but at least you are a bigger tool than the rest of us

Fixed