Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake disc dust plugs?

bp_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Hi all

Currently replacing disc brakes on my VX. Existing discs had two rubber plugs per disc, I assume some sort of dust cap. New discs (DBA) had the same holes so tried removing a cap to install in new disc and no dice, destroyed the cap. A google and a search on eBay has not helped me find what these are or where to source them. Any ideas what I’m looking for?

Thanks!

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
i think your talking about the rubber caps that you take off to lighn up with the handbrakike adjuster and pop a screw driver in and adjust the cog i circled the holes for the handbrake adjuster holes where the grommets usualy go proberly wouldnt want dust to go in there long term but be ok till you can get some from a wreck

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

bp_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
i think your talking about the rubber caps that you take off to lighn up with the handbrakike adjuster and pop a screw driver in and adjust the cog i circled the holes for the handbrake adjuster holes where the grommets usualy go proberly wouldnt want dust to go in there long term but be ok till you can get some from a wreck

Those are the ones. Rather just order some online, no time to go looking at wreckers and they’ll probably not come out cleanly anyway, mine sure didn’t. Any idea what they’re called? No searches have helped me yet!

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
No idea might have to genuine if you want new ones i tried searching dust caps plugs gromets nothing came up go to a wreckers they will pull them out for you proberly charge like ten bucks...had no trouble pulling mine out either

bp_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Almost any rubber would be ok to use as a dust plug at brake temperature on the street unless you are entering the Bathurst.
If it was a chemical seal or loaded part things would be different.

bp_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Almost any rubber would be ok to use as a dust plug at brake temperature on the street unless you are entering the Bathurst.
If it was a chemical seal or loaded part things would be different.

You’re probably right, but I feel like I get my brakes well above the 180C melting point of rubber. Given there are two inspection holes and I’ve gotten one seal out, I’m tempted just to fill the other with RTV sealant and be done with it.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Proberly can go without the plug the back end is open anyway if they were that important they would come with the new disc or at least be sold and easily found ..

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Throw em in the bin. Handbrake shoes drag and cause bulk dust anyway