Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake fluid flush

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I want to flush out the old brake fluid as it hasn't been done for about 40,000 kays .I noticed that the fluid reservoir has some crap in it and was wondering if i took the reservoir off to clean it then filled it up with new fluid then bled the brakes would this have any effect on the ABS ? I was told that you have all sorts of problems if you get air in the ABS hydraulic control module .
Thanks in advance.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yes, unless you know how to bleed the master cylinder as well, dont take it off. SOmeone on here may know the technique. It will be in a car manual. Different to bleeding the brakes only. They may have a tool for it.

garywg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
The way to bleed the m/cyl is to undo the brake lines and just to let drain until no air comes out ,so I would assume that you can remove the reservoir to clean it with no major problems.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Somehow I double posted when I edited, read next reply.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I believe if air gets into the system before the ABS module it requires a special procedure to bleed the ABS module, this will happen if you remove the reservoir. I have seen the proper procedure somewhere on this forum.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Suggest that you remove the old brake fluid from the master cylinder using a syringe or equivalent (I use a turkey baster), when empty clean out the master cylinder using a rag or kitchen paper, refill the master cylinder with new fluid and then bleed the brakes. When cleaning, some fluid still stays at the bottom of the master cylinder where the tubes connect so you won't let air into the system.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Suggest that you remove the old brake fluid from the master cylinder using a syringe or equivalent (I use a turkey baster), when empty clean out the master cylinder using a rag or kitchen paper, refill the master cylinder with new fluid and then bleed the brakes. When cleaning, some fluid still stays at the bottom of the master cylinder where the tubes connect so you won't let air into the system.

Turkey Baster, I'll have to remember that.

A few weeks ago I decided to change my brake fluid, so I thought a syringe would do the trick, where can you get a syringe from....chemist! I'd just finished working on my brakes, so picture this. 21 year old male, wearing unironed t-shirt, shorts and thongs, dirty as from the brakes, in a hobo suburb asking for a syringe :D:D. Girl behind the counter said they didn't stock them even though a senior staff said they keep them behind the counter. I decided not to make an issue out of it.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2

Thats what i ended up doing , but i used a piece of clear plastic hose to suck the fluid out then cleaned out the reservoir with paper towel . Topped it up with fresh fluid then bled the old remaining fluid out of the system . Its amazing the difference it has made.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just bleed some fluid out until nearly empty then clean inside reservoir with lint free rag, top up and bleed until nearly empty, then fill and bleed as normal